mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I have my doubts, but I'm wondering if there's a weird and mysterious bug that causes client disconnect.

1) The disconnect only happens when typing text into a channel window, like normal, hitting enter.

2) Will not disconnect for text sent via scripts, timer, etc. Only text sent by the user hitting enter key.

It is so rare, difficult to reproduce, but consistent in this regard that it seems hard to dismiss.

Maybe take a glance around the code for stuff that happens during editbox input, when $idle is reset to 0, that might cause a TCP failure where scripted timer messages do not?

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
What's the quit reason people see when it happens to you?

This hasn't happened recently, but I remember cases where my connection has died (mIRC hasn't timed out yet), I've tried to sent a message and mIRC has disconnected me instantly. Some kind of a TTL check thing.

No idea how messages sent by scripts were handled, though.

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
It's typically Read Error, or Swift IRC says Input/output error. Maybe Connection Reset by Peer, I haven't been keeping close track. But suffice it to say, it's the only times I am ever disconnected strangely. And I'll have other scripts slinging messages in the background, but those don't cause me to become disconnected.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I believe it's just your connection being bad.
mIRC has an option (alt + o > connect > option) to check for timeout, are you using it?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Yes, I have that option enabled. And as i said before, channel activity still persists. This is not your father's stale connection of the dialup days where people stop talking for a half hour and then you say something and boom. It happens while a channel is happily busy and bustling away, and you decide to jump into the fray after an hour of lurking. boom.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
And as i said before, channel activity still persists.
Where did you say that the channel activity still persist?
Quote:
This is not your father's stale connection of the dialup days
Yet 2004 called, he says he wants its connection back wink

In all seriousness:

Quote:
2) Will not disconnect for text sent via scripts, timer, etc. Only text sent by the user hitting enter key.
sounds like an issue with your scripts. Try a clean install?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
P
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
P
My suggestion would be to open a debug window with:
Code:
/debug -n @debug

and then you can see the communications just before the disconnect happened - which might help us work out what is happening.

Link Copied to Clipboard