mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
I have found that while working on dialogs (in particular) and making small changes to test and/or fix code, I have to click ok which submits the changed code for use, then re-open the editor and execute the script to compare what happens with what is in my code, so that I can progress through control placement and or code changes to get what I want.

What would make life a lot easier would be an 'apply' button so that the code is submitted to where ever it is store (script.ini, or some other place) and yet the editor would remain active.

If I was a superior being my code would work 1st time and every time. Unfortunetly I am not which results in continuous, ok, then get script editor back up, trigger code observe results, back to editor change code, etc. etc.

Please consider this, the code should already exist within mIRC, since it is executed when Ok is clicked, but just don't complete the closure of the editor (yes I know it's never that simple).

Last edited by Erasimus; 26/04/18 08:50 PM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Control + h, which is equivalent to the check bracket button will do that, you can also just hit control + s, you can also just switch tab.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
Thanks for that, it does indeed work but ...

Like lots of different control key combinations (plus the win key button, plus Alt key button .. etc .. ohh and F keys) I have a tendancy to forget them.

A button on the screen at the bottom of the editor would be easier to remember especially if it was named apply or commit.

Your point about Ctrl-H proves the code exists and doesn't need to be modified, so it would be a (relatively) easy matter to add the button which would trigger the pre-existing code.

Now .. I have no idea as to what you are talking about with 'check bracket button'. Could you explain; also the ctrl-s and what switch tab ? I really am lost as to what you are referring to.

Thanks.
Note: the above is not meant to be sarcastic. I really have no idea as to what you are talking about.

Last edited by Erasimus; 26/04/18 10:02 PM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
In the script editor, if you are on the remote tab for example, on the full right of tabs, there is a [✓] button, it checks that your bracket in the currently visible code are balanced, that is: you have one } for your {
This button effectively saves the changes in mIRC but it DOES NOT save the content of the file to disk

Control + s is a typical windows shortcut in text editor which saves the content of the file to the disk, it also works in the script editor here.

Switching tab means that you're for example on the remote tab, you edit the content of the currently visible file, and by just going to, for example, the aliases tab, it will also saves the content of the remote visible file to disk.

Last edited by Wims; 26/04/18 11:20 PM. Reason: ctrl+h does not save to disk

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The check-brackets icon and the Ctrl-H hotkey do cause your code changes to be executed as if you had saved them to disk, and it clears your Ctrl+Z undo-history, but it doesn't actually save them.

If you cancel-out and click 'no' to saving changes, the changes since you opened the remotes editor or used Ctrl+S aren't saved to disk, and the script's timestamp doesn't change.

I think the placement of the check-brackets button is poor. It had taken a long time for me to even notice the button was there and that it was actually something to be used instead of being ornamental. I'd think that better placement would be down on the row near the OK and other buttons.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
The check-brackets icon and the Ctrl-H hotkey do cause your code changes to be executed as if you had saved them to disk, and it clears your Ctrl+Z undo-history, but it doesn't actually save them.
I actually thought so which is why I tested it before replying, but I must have mistested, just tried it again and it did not save.

E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
The save part wasn't my problem. I just wanted to make changes active and retest the script to see if the change worked (or didn't) or required a refinement.

Once I'm happy, or at the end of working on something for the day, only then do I file,save.

No point in saving when I'm making the situation worse smile

But (back on topic) I would still like to see an apply/commit button instead of having to remember Ctrl-S (which suggest it should mean file,save).

Last edited by Erasimus; 27/04/18 12:43 AM.
E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
Ahh thanks for that. I hadn't even noticed that button. Just checked, it's in v6.14 that I have used for years without noticing but has {} as the symbol on the button.

I had noticed that if you close the editor by using the ok button, then go back in again, if any bracket etc was missing it had changed the indentation of the lines below the errant section of code. I never had a need to go looking for another means to do that given what I had seen.

Thank you for explaining the Ctrl-S and the tab switching. I didn't know those. To me tab switching suggested something regarding the tab key .. like Ctrl-Tab switching through active applications on the desktop.

Thanks again

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Right, but your original post never mentioned that you cared or not about saving to the disk, you only made it clear that you didn't want to close the script editor each time.
I gave all the options to accomplish that for completeness sake, with some of them actually saving to the disk.

E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
Yes I realise that, I just wanted to commit my code to mIRC, test it, and back into the editor to make further changes.

As I said a button down near Ok Cancel Help would be easier to use instead of Ctrl-H (I already got confused and mentioned Ctrl-S instead of Ctrl-H)

After all who needs the cancel button when you can just click on the 'X' in the top right hand corner of the editor ? and yet it is there.

Keyboard shortcuts get forgotten because there are so many of them.

Link Copied to Clipboard