mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
jHoNDoE Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
The initial letter is always capitalized here, can this be fixed in the next release or beta? I would like to keep there for example freenode as freenode and not Freenode.

mIRC Favorites > Add > Networks: Add

Thank you.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is the rule of every prominent style guide that is professionally used. The rule is rather simple with little variation: All proper nouns must contain at least one capital letter at or near the beginning of the name, but it also must not be excessive or look ridiculous (ie, LONGALLCAPS and CaMelCaSe are ridiculous). AP goes a step further and also capitalizes the first letter in iPhone if it starts a sentence, as in IPhone.

If a brand name like iPhone insisted instead to be just iphone, all lowercase, then they would automatically be referred to as Iphone in regular print to recognize the proper noun, whether at the beginning or middle of a sentence or in a list. Basically overruling the wishes of the marketing droids.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
J
jHoNDoE Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
It's lower case everywhere else.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you visit wikipedia.org/wiki/freenode (all lowercase), you will be directed to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenode (first letter capitalized) and you will notice that Freenode is capitalized throughout the article in accordance to accepted standards of style. The only cases in which a brand's "fancy case" are respected are when it uses multiple words, abbreviations, acronyms, or prefixes... but even then, they always contain some capital lettering. But not because Pepsi Cola wants to reinvent itself as "pepsi cola", for that, there's pictographic logos to gawk at.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
J
jHoNDoE Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
J
I meant it's lowercase everywhere else on mIRC (see titlebar on the screenshot for example) and it should stay however I want to save it, like in the other settings (Servers dialog etc.), even if I want to save it as FrEeNoDe.

Are you a dev or you're just talking about the languages in general? Because I understand what you're saying but software don't follow general rules, not even math rules for versioning.

Last edited by jHoNDoE; 04/04/18 06:04 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have no opinion on this issue, other than that I noticed that the capitalization isn't consistent.

When I create a fake server group using $chr(233) as the first character, it displays among the 'E' groups, recognizing that this is an accented "e". However it displays as the lower-case accented-e, and not the capitalized form of that letter $chr(201).

Élise
élise

Link Copied to Clipboard