Print Thread
#262721 20/03/18 06:55 AM
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I recently needed a refresher on a command. Turns out any command that has multiple options in a help index locks mIRC.

To reproduce: use /help for any topic like "/help /raw" or "/help /nick" and mIRC's effectively frozen until you close that mutltiple options choice dialog.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
And this happens whether you use
/help /nick
or use F1 to open the .chm then type /nick in the index
It doesn't happen when you open with /run mirc.chm

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. Unfortunately, there is no way around this. It is the Windows help system that is blocking the application while it waits for a reply from the user in the help dialog.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Could this be bypassed by using a different Shell Execute method? There are like a dozen alternatives. Then the WinHelp could have its own Taskbar icon instead of being grouped under mIRC's in Windows 7 and above.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately the only way to open the help file correctly is to use the Help APIs. Using any other method will result in multiple copies of the help file being opened, not being able to pass parameters to request a lookup of a particular keyword, and so on.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I don't really consider this as a bug since it's working as expected, however, regardless of if some think this is annoying, I do not like the idea that the help file has multiple entry for the same name. I'm saying that because after years of using the help file, after /help $nick, I still have no idea which one I should select to get to the desired page, and very often I click on the wrong item.

I'd rather get /help $nick to bring me to a page which tells me both about $nick() and $nick.
Although I'd understand this is unlikely to change, it would prevent this freeze.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard