mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I've asked around but haven't found anyone else saying they've had this glitch, but I've encountered it multiple times, so I'm reporting it in case anyone else has seen it or did something to make it go away.

I remember seeing it only after starting to use the 7.51.212 beta, but once it began appearing it would also happen in the non-beta 7.51. After mIRC has been uptime for a few days, either one or all of the windows stop allowing text to be marked/highlighted for copying into the clipboard. Sometimes it affected all text windows, other times it doesn't. For example, it could allow left-button mark-text highlighting in a #channel on network1 and the status window of network2, but not in any other status window or #channel or non-listbox @custom window. Once this glitch appears, regardless whether any existing windows still allow highlighting to clipboard, any brand new @windows or #channels or StatusWindow opened usually will not allow mouse highlighting even if some open windows still allow it. This bug affects only the @window or #channel text, and not selecting text within any of the #channel or @window editboxes.

It's not the case of enabling "Control key enables mark/copy", but I tried turning that on-then-off to see if a setting was stuck, but there was no change. The affected windows still alter the mouse pointer when hovering over a nick it recognizes as being in channel or in the notify list or over a word beginning with "#". I can still double-click on the text of my own nick and it will do /whois. In a /window -l @test I can still use the mouse to select multiple lines.

Occasionally when I try to mark some text it will highlight 1 letter of a word, but it stays highlighted when the mouse button is released, and it doesn't affect the clipboard, and eventually I can go back to that window and the letter is no longer highlighted.

Since I can't select echo'ed text, I had to grab it into the clipboard like:

//clipboard $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

returned:
7 7.51 212 15acbb8ff971602c62065c79a703b43b ok 1 17 0 0
7 7.51 2458 823f5277c373f0a5ade3a57f9b81a853 ok 1 17 0 0

and it wasn't affected by unloading the scripts and restarting mIRC. 32bit-Win7 if that matters.

When I close/reopen mIRC, the problem can go away for a short time, but returns. And eventually restarting mIRC won't make it go away at all, with rebooting being the only way to be able to mark text into the clipboard again.

I did find that I was able to trigger this glitch using Raccoon's speed-test of the various levels of /fupdate.
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/262438/Re:_mIRC_Slowdowns_for_Massive#Post262438
I modified his script to output for every numeric level instead of every 10th, and it doesn't take long for this bug to appear. I did find once that the bug affected only the @window and "Status Window" where I used his alias to echo the massive amount of text, and after using /clear and waiting a few hours the ability to mark text to clipboard came back to those windows. But eventually the bug came back to most windows to-stay. I haven't found this glitch triggered by anything else, except one time I unloaded a background image and suddenly I could mark text again for a few days. Since then I've not used any background images and the glitch still happens. It has happened when only 1 test #channel with a couple idling nicks was the only channel activity it saw, but I had been echoing text and using the /filter command to echo output. I reduced the window buffer size from 5000 down to 1000 but that didn't seem to help.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report.

Quote:
I did find that I was able to trigger this glitch using Raccoon's speed-test of the various levels of /fupdate.

I ran the script repeatedly but was unable to reproduce the issue. How many times did you need to run it to see the issue?

Quote:
When I close/reopen mIRC, the problem can go away for a short time, but returns. And eventually restarting mIRC won't make it go away at all, with rebooting being the only way to be able to mark text into the clipboard again.

This seems to indicate that the issue lies outside of mIRC. I cannot think of a reason why something like mark/copy would initially work and then gradually over time work less and less, even after mIRC is restarted, and then work again after the computer is restarted. Also, the fact that mIRC 7.51 can also be affected seems to indicate that this is not a beta issue. Are you running out of memory by any chance? Is another application using up resources?

maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Other programs are working fine. I also checked while preparing for a reboot. After closing other programs, the absence of other running programs didn't cause the mark-text to start working again.

That speed test didn't need to run more than a dozen times before the glitch appeared. Note that changing the interval from 10 to 1 has the effect of many repeats of the unmodified scripts.

Is there another program that you're aware of which uses the same kind of mark-text feature used for highlighting text in #channels or @windows? The mark-text still worked in the editbox, so I'm assuming the editbox uses a different method. Not necessarily an IRC-related program, just hoping to find another program using the same function so I could see if that program were affected the same way. Even 6.35 running at the same time as the current version has never shown this degrading of mark-text functionality.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
maroon: Do you get any behavior change by setting /fupdate back to 0? Also try copying while holding the CTRL key, and/or the SHIFT key. Also try mashing all six of the left-and-right CTRL + ALT + SHIFT keys multiple times to 'reset your keyboard key states.'

Since you are able to use the /clipboard command to copy text in mIRC, that ought to rule out interference by another program behaving inappropriately in the clipboard loopback chain.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
/fupdate got reset back to zero when i restart mIRC, so it was back to zero with no help. I don't think the /fupdate of that test was causing the glitch, but rather the flood of text streaming across the window, because this problem was happening in beta's prior to creation of fupdate.

I'd tried the keys-may-be-sticky solution a while ago, and retried it just now, to no help.

I can highlight text in the editbox, then use Ctrl-C/Ctrl+V to copy and paste it in any editbox, it's just the mark-text feature that stops working.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Alas still unable to reproduce the issue here. If you test this with a clean copy of mIRC, installed in a new empty folder using the portable option in the installer, does it reproduce then?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Does actual marking stop working, too? The visual feedback of selecting text? What about hovering over nicknames, channels, and clicking on links?

Disable On Hotlink events?

maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Yes, actual marking stops. There's no feedback of text being highlighted. Prior content of the clipboard, either from this program or from a text editor, does not get replaced.

I can still highlight text then use Ctrl+C/Ctrl-V in an editbox, in the remotes window, in address-book/users/notes. But mark-text doesn't work in #channel, in @custom not created with -l, nor in tools/logfiles/view.

In channel, the mouse pointer changes to recognize that it's hovering over a nick who's in channel. If I do "/notify talking" the mouse pointer changes to treat the word talking as if it's a nick in channel. If I echo the name of a #channel into status window, I can double-click on it to join that #channel. If I type "http://www.google.com" into a #channel, my mouse pointer changes when I hover over it, and I can double-click to open the link, or right-click to copy-link, and it does get copied into the clipboard. The glitch is not affected by doing "/remote off". Everything seems normal except I can't mark-text into the clipboard.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That is really strange. So it's narrowed down to text selection in an mIRC text buffer area. Nothing else is impacted. This is in Windows 7, and even after changing the buffer size to a conservative 1000 lines from an already conservative 5000 lines.

I wouldn't call this a clipboard bug. I would call this an owner-drawn GDI selection bug. It smells like a memory leak impacting GDI resources (not being freed up).

Are you running any goofy software that might Hook the mIRC process? Antivirus? Debugging software? AutoHotkey Scripts? Anything that snoops, modifies, adds feature or function to other exterior software -- like a text-to-speech synthesizer or VNC remote desktop server or anything like that? Are you loading any DLLs in mIRC? Theme scripts maybe?

maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I haven't started running anything new. Just Chrome and I.E., Servant Salamander file manager, Excel, and Textpad, and a couple DOS windows running things that don't know what the clipboard is. The only $dll I find in a search of my remotes is Saturn's sha2.dll and I had rarely been running that. Not using any remote or text-to-speech software, don't have autohotkey installed. I had already excluded the mIRC folder from antivirus because it was slowing down disk writes.

I looked for a GDI Viewer and found the one by Nirsoft. The largest number in the "All GDI" column was around 600 by Salamander. The mIRC beta was around 450. I closed Excel and restarted both, and the numbers went down, but still no mark-text. I see that there's a limit of 64k handles, so it doesn't look like I'm getting anywhere close to that.

Do you know of a different program which marks text the same way mIRC does? I was hoping to see if that program has this glitch too.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Khaled rolled his own. I'm not actually sure what it's based on or similar to; I assume it's some sort of RichEditW class window, but very customized.

Next time you go to reboot, try closing all programs except mIRC, to see if text selection comes back. Unload Saturn's DLL too, and kill the antivirus and file explorer is possible. Couldn't say if Saturn's DLL is leaking or causing mIRC to trip up.

And yes, NirSoft's progs are great!

Link Copied to Clipboard