mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#261860 02/12/17 08:51 PM
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Hello! I'm a registered mIRC user, and wanted to say thanks for your continued work!

I just got a new laptop, and mIRC.exe continues to disappear. I know if it disappears, it's getting deleted by *something*. But I can't for the life of me figure out what.

I run ZoneAlarm Pro + Firewall and Malwarebytes Premium, BUT I have put exceptions in for mIRC.exe AND the Program Files folder and AppData folder for it in BOTH security softwares. On our other laptop, we run the exact same security software with the exact same exceptions, but mIRC doesn't disappear like this. There are NO other anti-viruses or anti-malware products on this laptop.

Neither ZoneAlarm or Malwarebytes is even reporting it as a virus/malware/whatever. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Please help!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The most common reason for this is anti-virus software that incorrectly thinks that mIRC is a trojan/virus (this is called a false positive) and is automatically closing it and/or deleting it without telling you. You would very likely need to add an exception for mIRC in your anti-virus software and if that does not work, report it to the anti-virus company so that they can tell you how to resolve the issue.

E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Alright. Thank you. I guess I will just report it to both ZoneLabs and Malwarebytes and see if either of them can help me figure out why it's being deleted. In ZoneAlarm, I am setting it as "super trusted" under application control. On Malwarebytes, I have (as I said) the app itself AND the directories it would operate out of set as exceptions. Neither program is reporting it (mIRC) as anything at all. So I'm really not sure what's happening. Also to test, I completely turned off Windows defenses as well. It's still being deleted.

Thanks for your time. I guess there's nothing else I can do aside from reporting it to both and seeing what their statements on it is.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What happens if you install mIRC, as Portable (option in the installer), and in a directory that is not Program Files. Try installing it to C:\Portable\mIRC\, or to your user Documents folder, or to a USB thumb drive.

Knowing if the deletions happen in different install locations will be helpful in narrowing down the problem.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Raccoon,

I will try that here shortly! Thanks.

E
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
E
Khaled, Raccoon,

Believe it or not, it does NOT get deleted when you install it to a custom directory! I didn't even hit "use as portable". I simply made C:\mIRC and installed it there and it's not being deleted by anything anymore. So if other people who are running similar softwares to me report the same thing, tell them try installing in ANY other directory than the default. I don't know WHY this fixes the problem, but it does.

Thank you both!

Link Copied to Clipboard