mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
I just started getting the following message when I tried to log into IRC using MIRC:
AUTO [1] (174.48.59.171) Infected with a virus or trojan, please clean your system. (P422).

I have run both Norton AV and AVG Antivirus and both programs tell me my system is clean. What do I do now?
-

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Do you know if your IP address changed at that time? Sometimes these messages happen because someone was infected, and they used to have the IP address you have now. I used to have this problem often when I had a dialup connection that gave me a different IP every time. Sometimes networks can have wildcard bans, where they might have banned a range of IP near yours. Hopefully the network has a website with a method of contact once the problem is fixed.

Have you tried connecting to different networks to see if you are also banned there too?

F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
The error message provides the same IP address each time so I think it's a static address. I am able to connect to EFNET. It's the Undernet that gives me the trojan and virus message and does not allow me to connect.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What I was trying to ask is whether your IP address was different before you started getting the error than after getting the message. Sometimes your ISP changes your IP address at rare intervals, or else someone with a nearby IP address caused Undernet to create a wildcard range gline.

When I googled the message beginning with the word 'infected' I got quite a few hits, many of them from 2012 or earlier, but the top hit was an Undernet link where they give an email address for an appeal.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You would need to contact the owners of the IRC network to which you are connecting to ask them for help as only they would know why their servers are displaying that message to you. The only way to find out who the owners of a particular IRC network are is to use Google to search for their name, website, network, and so on.

Link Copied to Clipboard