mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Topic Options
#261779 - 24/11/17 06:12 PM BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs)
SteveNunes Offline
Pikka bird

Im here just to show you something im working these 2 last months: A BomberMan game made with mirc scripting using no dlls... (AT LEAST NOT FOR NOW, but maybe ill need one related with sounds)*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrcgPmLcM5w

Work still in progress, and its getting really great =)))

* Btw: Im wondering if someone there know any .dll that allow you to play multiple .wav files at the same time? I mean, when you try to play multiple .wav files with /splay, the preview one just stops for play the new one...

Edited by SteveNunes (24/11/17 06:13 PM)

#261781 - 24/11/17 06:50 PM Re: BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs) [Re: SteveNunes]
Wims Offline
Planetary brain

Loc: France
Looking awesome, however there's no multiplayer support?
I myself have a bomberman online code which works using dcx.dll, all the dialog part is working but the game itself is missing (you can get up to start a game and it displays a random generated map but that's about it). Everything is made with dcx so everything is resizable, including the picwin inside the dialog.
I stopped working on it because my previous multiplayer (online) game ( pacman ) was already suffering some lag (client to server type of communication over udp) was a slower pace type of game, so I didn't want a bomb explosion to appear a bit later, it would ruin the gameplay, are you interested in making your game multiplayer?

#261783 - 24/11/17 06:59 PM Re: BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs) [Re: SteveNunes]
maroon Offline
Fjord artisan

mIRC won't let you play 2 files from the same sound group at the same time, so you can play a wav, a midi, and an mp3 at the same time, but not 2 of each. Playing a 2nd simultaneous wav would involve playing it without going /splay, so perhaps through a dll or the /run command, at which point /splay no longer can affect it and you would need to find a way to halt those sounds.

A compromise might be to have your background song be a .mp3 or .midi, while having your action-related sound effects be .wavs.

I had trouble reading the filesize in the lower corner of your video, and I'm curious how large of a script file you're using? At some point, if you're not already long past it, you're probably going to be better served splitting your huge script into multiple script files.

#261785 - 24/11/17 07:29 PM Re: BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs) [Re: Wims]
SteveNunes Offline
Pikka bird

Originally Posted By: Wims
are you interested in making your game multiplayer?

maybe after finishing all stuffs, theres a lot of works to do... but you know, more contents, less fps... and basically adding a new LOOP for add a new player together will greatly drops the fps that is already kinda low (with 9 enemies on the screen i get about 15 FPS)

BUT..... im about to re-code this game using c++ with allegro5... of course, AFTER finishing this mirc version first... so, coding in c++ i can add a lot of contents without decreasing a lot the FPS...

#261786 - 24/11/17 07:31 PM Re: BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs) [Re: maroon]
SteveNunes Offline
Pikka bird

Originally Posted By: maroon
mIRC won't let you play 2 files from the same sound group at the same time, so you can play a wav, a midi, and an mp3 at the same time, but not 2 of each. Playing a 2nd simultaneous wav would involve playing it without going /splay, so perhaps through a dll or the /run command, at which point /splay no longer can affect it and you would need to find a way to halt those sounds.

I know pretty well about this bro, thats what i just asked, if someone know any .dll for allow it... I used a trick on my bomberman for play few sounds at the same time: music is a midi, general sounds are .wav and the mostly used (bomb explosion) is a .mp3 that i keep it paused and i use 'seek' for play the sound explosion everytime i want

#261788 - 24/11/17 10:24 PM Re: BomberMan made with mirc scripting (no DLLs) [Re: SteveNunes]
Wims Offline
Planetary brain

Loc: France
Using different audio file type is a good workaround to dll, I believe you can check 'fmod.dll' to accomplish what you want to do though.

As far as fps is concerned, there are a huge number of tricks you can use to speed up the processing and the display of your game.
What is sure is that displaying 9 sprites for 9 ennemies + one sprite for your character + 5-6 bombs for a total of less than 20 sprite can run at 60 fps very easily even on not so great machine. The main trick being to not use while loop but to /tokenize a list of items and use $*.

Feel free to stop by the channel in my signature to talk about this.

Implementing multiple player shouldn't add a new loop to your code anyway and shouldn't make it slower, the only problem is fighting the lag!