mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Nisto Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
When you configure highlights to flash the tray icon in addition to playing a sound, there's a second beep played on top of the beep triggered from the actual highlight. It appears that the flashing triggers a beep as well, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to actually disable "flash message" sounds (not even the "flash" option at the bottom of the dropdown list under Options -> Sounds).

At this point, I feel like I've tried everything. I've disabled all sounds for all possible events I could find and I'm still getting double beeps.

Reproducing it should be fairly simple:

- Make sure "enable sounds" is ticked under Options -> Sounds
- Go to Address Book -> Highlight -> (whatever) -> Edit
- Set "play sound" to beep 1 time
- Enable "flash message"
- Make sure mIRC is minimized to the tray
- Trigger a highlight

The only way I've found to accomplish what I'm expecting is to disable sounds "altogether" with the "enable sounds" tickbox and then only select a sound under the highlight settings. But obviously, I want to be able to get sounds for other events as well. Shouldn't that setting cover highlights too, anyway... ? Seems dumb.

Generally though, the settings dialogues in mIRC could really use some refactoring. It feels like it's scattered all over the place. Highlight settings under the "address book"? What a nightmare!

EDIT: Using the latest version by the way, v7.51, on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The only way I could replicate this was to make the steps you list plus:

1. in addressbook/edit make sure the play-sound is set to 'beep' and not to play a .wav (it can work with a wav, but the highlight's sound plays first, and if the wav is too long it drowns out the 2nd beep from #2.
2. options/sound, in "beep on message", put a check on 'buffer', then scroll up in the window where you're testing.)
3. same tab, uncheck "internal beep" because no matter what I try I can't get any sound when internal beep is checked. Not 'event-beep' not 'beep on message' not address book highlights.)

Now when someone else triggers your highlight, you hear 2 beeps, one is caused by the highlight, and the 2nd beep happens whether or not the highlight is triggered because the message was scrolled down below the visible area.

Note that if you have a 2nd mirc running, be sure to disable sound in that one to make sure it's not the one supplying the extra beep.

It appears mIRC suppresses duplicate beeps from the same setting, but not across settings. If the line triggers 2 keywords, it won't beep for both. If the line triggers more than 1 of the 4 choices in "beep on message", that setting only generates 1 of the beeps.

N
Nisto Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
You shouldn't have to enable beeps for 'buffer'.

I did just realize however, that I have actually disabled all my system sounds (Win-key + R -> mmsys.cpl -> Sounds). Since you say you can't use the internal beeps for some reason, I assume you're getting the OS sounds. So, do you get any sounds at all if you disable your system sounds?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What I'm describing is happening on Win7-32, testing with the latest 7.51 beta.

The sound effect I hear for 'beep' from either the highlight or from 'beep on message' is whatever I set Windows to use for "Default Beep" then click 'apply'. It's the same sound used by Excel when you press the PageUp key when the cursor is in row 1.

If I set "event beeps" to Beeps:5 and Delay:500, the /beep command plays the same "Windows Default Beep" sound effect as Excel and the other mIRC beeps do, but /beep does it 5 times at 500ms intervals. However the "beep on message" and the highlight trigger both trigger only that same sound just 1 time. In "edit highlights", clicking on "play sound" gives the 5 beeps at 500ms intervals, and changes when I change settings in "event beeps", regardless whether the dropdown next to it has been OK'ed at 1,2, or 30. But the highlight trigger also ignores the '30 time(s)' setting but just plays the beep sound effect 1 time.

When I use Windows Control Panel to set 'default beep' to a different .wav, Excel and mIRC all substitute the new .wav for instances where 'Default Beep.wav' played.

However when I change default beep to 'none' and apply it, Excel goes silent, but mIRC still makes a sound, but it's a strange sound that I've not heard Windows making in any other situation. It sounds somewhat like I remember sound effects being on the 'pc speaker' of the old computers prior to sound cards. It's some what like someone tapping on a hollow box. mIRC makes this strange sound in the same quantities and intervals as it did when Windows had a .wav designated for the beep sound.

This strange 'pc speaker' sound is what I imagine mIRC would use for an internal beep, yet it only plays when the box for 'internal beep' is unchecked. When I check that box I hear nothing, regardless whether the Windows sound effect is set to a .wav or to 'none'.

Testing in 6.35, everything described above happens the same way - including no sound when 'internal beep' is checked, except related to the dropdown box in 'edit highlights' which can be set as 30 repeats or higher. In 6.35 that box is right next to 'flash message' instead of being next next to 'play sound' on the row above 'flash message'. So once I enable 'flash message' for a highlight, both mIRC versions give the original 1 beep for the highlight, and if mIRC is not the active application then I get the additional number of beeps defined in the 'time(s)' box. It looks like mIRC rearranged the 'edit highlights' window to imply the 'time(s)' applies to the highlight beep instead of the flash setting on the next row, and the '/help highlight' page makes no mention of the frequency setting so the user is left to assume it relates to the highlight and not the flash below it and to the left.

So based on this last discovery, I'm guessing that your 2 sounds is the 1 beep from the highlight plus the 1 beep for the 'time(s)' setting applied to 'flash message'. If I change time(s) to 5, I get 1+5 beeps, however the 1 highlight and the first of the flash beeps often play on top of each other, while the additional flash beeps play at the interval set in "event beeps delay:". The time(s) dropdown also lets me type in 3 and I get 1+3 beeps instead. As they should, the flash beeps cease to repeat as soon as you make mIRC the active app.

Another bug: When you set the dropdown to "-", mIRC ignores that setting and instead repeats the number of times which was a number showing in the dropdown. If I set time(s) to 30, flash message triggers with 30 beeps. If I edit that to 3 or another number not shown on the dropdown, flash message triggers that 3 times. However if I then change to '-', it reverts back to 30 because that was the latest number given as a dropdown choice. This seems to be a bug, because I would expect '-' to either be 0 or use the 'beeps:' setting from "event beeps". It does appear that mIRC is treating '-' and 0 the same, because I can manually type 3 into the time(s) box and click OK, and re-enter 'edit highlights' to find the 3 still there. However if I do the same with 0, re-entering finds it has changed from 0 to '-'. This behavior happens in 6.35 as well as the latest beta.

So based on this last experience, I'm guessing your 2 sounds comes from 1 highlight trigger + 1 flash message 'time(s)', and you're not getting the first sound from each source interrupting each other like I'm finding happening to me. If I have 1+5 setting, sometimes I get the highlight beep followed by the 5 beeps, other times I get the first of 5 flash beeps playing at the same time as the highlight beep. Perhaps this has something to do with how near to the next $ctime increment the highlight beep is executing.

N
Nisto Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
N
Thanks for the detailed response, maroon. And yep, the event beeps also only seem to apply in certain places, and not for highlights for example. So it seems there probably is a discrepancy or two in the actual code then.

Again, I can't stress the need for a revamp of the settings in mIRC. Or at least some re-arranging.

So, for now, I've resorted to some custom scripting for sounds. My approach:

Code:
ON *:TEXT:*:?:{
  var %f = $true

if ($appactive) {
    var %i = 1
    var %s = $query(0)
    while (%i <= %s) {
      if ($activewid == $query(%i).wid) {
        %f = $false
        break
      }
      inc %i
    }
  }

if (%f) {
    /splay -w qry.wav
  }
}

ON *:TEXT:*:#:{
  if ($me isin $1-) {
    /splay -w beep.wav
  }
}

If there's any way to improve this code, I'll gladly take some input.

Link Copied to Clipboard