mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#261741 22/11/17 07:03 AM
maroon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
The /help Documentation for /timer -h should be clarified. It does warn that multimedia timers use system resources heavily, but doesn't warn that it rations them by allowing only 1 at a time. I did find that warning in the v5.8 section of versions.txt but it would be great for it to be mentioned in /help too.

I thought I had found a bug where the -h switch stopped making timers become multimedia, until I discovered that it only happened while another multimedia timer was already running. Nobody else I compared notes with on this bug knew that there was a limit of one.

Code:
//timerfirst -h 1 5000 echo 3 -a first $!timer(first).mmt | timersecond -h 1 6000 echo 3 -a second $!timer(second).mmt | echo 4 -a $version $beta first $timer(first).mmt second $timer(second).mmt

This lack of warning causes uses to unknowningly have their -h switch silently changed to -m. With a warning they can know they'll need to either loop through all active timers to see if any of them already have the only allowed multimedia timer, or check the .mmt property after they launch the timer.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Please remember to post documentation-related requests in the feature suggestions forum. The bug reports forums are for bugs in features.

That said, this is not actually a documentation issue. It looks like a bug in the way the high resolution timer is handled. mIRC creates one high resolution timer that is used by all /timer -h requests. However, it looks like the call to the high resolution timer was failing if it had already been created, causing the second /timer -h to default to an -m timer - which is in fact what will happen anyway if a high resolution timer is not available. This issue has been fixed for the next version.

Link Copied to Clipboard