mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
This is going to be a bit of a weird question but is there any particular way of locking an alias or file in mIRC so that no one else can edit it? I know due to the open nature of mIRC scripts it's probably unlikely but I just thought I'd ask here just in case someone knows of a way.

I'm having a very serious issue of someone stealing my scripts and going around the internet claiming to be the original author of them. The person who steals them knows just enough of the mIRC scripting language to go in and remove all credit lines. Ordinarily this probably wouldn't even really bother me much but some of these scripts I have been working on for over five years and with multiple people. It isn't really fair to anyone that this guy is doing this.

It's become such a bad problem that I'm getting messaged on social media and via email about it (people trying to clarify who wrote the scripts, just letting me know that there's someone claiming to have written it, etc). Plus the guy is a bit of a jerk and treats people pretty poorly from what I understand.

I feel like I either have two options: live with it and the annoyances that come with it or try to figure out a way to make it so the credits are locked and no one can edit them. Any suggestions for the latter?

Last edited by Iyouboushi; 08/09/17 09:50 PM.
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
there's no way to lock your scripts; once they are on someone else's computer that someone can do whatever they want with the file. Even if you were to encrypt the file, you'd have to supply a mechanism to your users to decrypt which the offender could take full advantage of.

I'd suggest uploading your scripts to something like github or similar with a license file, then sending DMCA take-down requests to whatever site the offender uploads the script(s) to.

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 09/09/17 03:33 AM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
OP Offline
I was afraid of that. :\

I actually found a DLL that can do it but it also completely locks ths the ability for people to open the remote script editor (even the person writing the script) so that's kind of out.

I have a few of my scripts on Github already but I don't think it's going to matter. This guy, who is in Germany, is posting it across dozens (and I literally mean dozens) of German forums. I speak absolutely no German so it's hard for me to get in touch with the forum owners to ask them to take it down. I guess I could try the DMCA approach but I'm not even sure how well that will work, considering.

Thanks though.

Last edited by Iyouboushi; 09/09/17 04:18 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can try to encrypt the file on start and decrypt on exit in order to not be available for public usage.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-

Link Copied to Clipboard