mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
Dear Khaled,

We frequently have to remind folks that they must click the Select button after they make edits to a server entry.

I would suggest adding a yellow /!\ triangle to the Select button when an edit to a server entry is made. This way we don't have to instruct every user about this behavior.

Most users seem to attempt to reconnect with the lightning bolt icon, which simply reuses the 'recent server' resident settings instead of re-reading from the database. (agreeable behavior)

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
I guess the icon idea (triangle or green arrow) pointing at the 'Select' button isn't quite doing it for people.

New suggestion: Frame the select button inside a red rectangle or 3d border's edge, and replace the icon with a worded statement. "Click 'Select' to use changes."

People are still thinking that mIRC is broken because they believe it won't accept their server edits when they attempt to Edit-Then-Reconnect.

M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
Originally Posted By: Raccoon
I guess the icon idea (triangle or green arrow) pointing at the 'Select' button isn't quite doing it for people.

New suggestion: Frame the select button inside a red rectangle or 3d border's edge, and replace the icon with a worded statement. "Click 'Select' to use changes."

People are still thinking that mIRC is broken because they believe it won't accept their server edits when they attempt to Edit-Then-Reconnect.

Hello,

Thank you for pointing that out.
I really though mIRC is broken.
Could the help file be updated?
Could the actual arrow be a little animated?
Could the actual arrow display text when hovered?
Could the arrow be replaced with text?

man-d
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
One possible solution: if the pre-edit server entry matches the connection details (description, address, and group) of an open status window, mIRC can automatically copy over the new details to that status window so that on reconnect it will use them. How does that sound?

Raccoon Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
It sounds like the majority intent. I can't think of a reasonable scenario someone would prefer hanging onto their old cached settings for flash-icon reconnect.

I would caution though that some people may change the port (from plain to SSL), and possibly other features.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
One other possible solution.

Pop up an Yes/No dialog.

Do you want to select this server as primary?
[Yes] [No]

(Or whatever the better wording would be)

echo -a $signature

Link Copied to Clipboard