mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
B
Just a heads-up that this new update seems to break existing setups if you are a user that connects to a passworded server.

It seems the new update doesn't properly migrate the server passwords, probably an effect of the changes related to authentication (the addition of the new password field meant for services authentication).

The effect of this I have seen is that with existing users coming from 7.48, the server password is now filled into the newly added password field meant for services authentication, and the actual server password field is now empty. Luckily its a simple fix by blanking that password field, and putting the password in the correct field.

If your network supports SASL, you may also want to take this opportunity to migrate to the newly added SASL settings and configure your services credentials now as well and get that over with. If you were for example still using the perform-on-connect settings to do NickServ authentication, this can now be removed in favor of the new settings. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. Unfortunately, there was no way to resolve this as the server password and sasl password were the same thing in v7.48, so there was no way to know which was which. Note that the same applies to /server -l and -w which could not be made backward-compatible with v7.48. Either way, as v7.48 was short-lived, this should hopefuly affect fewer users.

K
KRD Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
I can't get onto the Twitch IRC network anymore as of mIRC 7.49.

Putting my oauth token (including the leading "oauth:" part) into the first password field results in this error:

Quote:
-tmi.twitch.tv- Login authentication failed

Putting my oauth token into the second password field, regardless of the method chosen, results in the following:

Quote:
-tmi.twitch.tv- Improperly formatted auth

Any ideas? 7.48 definitely worked fine.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just tested this with a twitch account and it worked fine. Please make sure that you enter the oath:token into the server password field, press OK, and then click Select in the server dialog. Then click the Connect button.

K
KRD Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
I couldn't get it working with my old token, but once I generated a new one, it all went smoothly on the first try. Good enough for now!

Thanks for everything, Khaled.

T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
I upgraded straight from 7.32 to 7.49 and my server passwords were moved into the SASL password field. I think this bug should be fixed in 7.50 - especially since 7.48 was apparently a short-lived version I think it's much better to assume the password in an existing servers.ini is a server password. At least in my case the method was set to "None" so in that case it should be even more logical to keep the password as the server password.

Edit: In another thread I just read that there was a "server pass" method before - so why not assume the password was a server password if that method was used (upgrde from 7.48) OR no method was set (upgrade from an older mirc version)

A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
dear author, please get back password method.
in version 7.48

all worked OK with my ZNC (bouncer).

in version 7.49

server password method has disappeared and i cannot connect to ZNC:

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: Angel
dear author, please get back password method.

server password method has disappeared and i cannot connect to ZNC

For ZNC, put your password or username:password into the first (upper) password field. No method needs to be selected. OK out of the server configure dialog, then click on Select. Try reconnecting, you should have success.

Works great for me, and I use ZNC on two BNC providers.

Hope this helps!

Thomas

Last edited by sonagaia; 06/06/17 08:03 AM.
A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
thx, Thomas, its work.
Is this a temporary solution for this version?
I mean, since this is a bug, will it be fixed and you have to change something again?

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Nothing is working for me. I continue to get this error:

-tmi.twitch.tv- Improperly formatted auth

I have generated a new oauth, but it still does not accept it.

Last edited by darthclide; 07/06/17 07:44 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Please follow the instructions in my previous above post.

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
What worked for me was going back to the connect page, and hitting connect there. For some reason the little lightning symbol would not work? As if it was not accepting the new information? It works good now though thankfully.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The latest beta, in the bug reports/beta post, fixes this issue. I tested it by setting a server password for a server entry in v7.47, v7.48, and v7.49 and then running the beta, which now migrates the server password format from each version.

If someone else could please test this to make sure that I have not missed anything, that would be appreciated.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Would you consider relabeling "Method" to "Authentication"? Otherwise "Auth Method" or "Auth Type"? It's hard to explain to people since it doesn't convey context.

Authentication: None

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Most clients seem to use "Login method" as the description for this item, so I will go ahead and change it to that for the next beta.

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
I've just tried the latest stable and latest beta, and the following occurs in both.

If I select the server from Connect > Servers, then connect, it properly authenticates. If I connect to the same server using /server <host> <port>, it tries to authenticate using that entry's details, however it fails to authenticate. mIRC appears to be sending the correct password prefixed with LM0?LM1?. I confirmed this was the case by changing the server entry's password with an incorrect one, and that incorrect password was used to authenticate when calling /server <host> <port>.

A workaround using /server is to place the server in its own group, and connect to it using /server <groupname>.

If it helps any, I think I was using mIRC 7.45 or 7.47 prior to recently upgrading to 7.49, which introduced the authentication woes covered by this thread.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I was able to reproduce this issue and have fixed it for the next beta.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A new beta has been uploaded that should resolve this issue. Please let me know how it works out for you.

Link Copied to Clipboard