mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
At first, I wanted to plop "make animated GIFs work like they should in dialogs" into the Feature Suggestions forum, but a quick search shows that literally everybody and their dog wants that feature, and they've been nagging for it since the dawn of the dinosaurs.

I'm not here to ask for GIF support, I'm looking for a workaround that either already exists or can be made that works reasonably efficiently.

1) I've heard that you can reposition an element in a dialog, so if I was so inclined to make a timer fire 45-60 times per second that moved a picture onto the dialog and back off again X-seconds later, I would. However, I'm a glutton for punishment, and I like to do things the hard way, because in scripting, that's usually what looks smoother.(opinionated babble)
1.5) I've searched the /did command, and it doesn't seem able to reposition an image in a dialog. As such, point (1) might not even work. Penny for your thoughts?

2) I've heard of a magic item called a "DLL" and that such a critter might be the solution to my problem. . . I have no idea what I'm looking for though. I've searched Google for "mirc gif dll" and it brought up a discussion speaking of GIF copyrights and the expiration of said copyrights. However, I didn't find any such DLL nor someone who thought they knew where to find one.

This is all I know to ask about. If any of you folks have a solution to my problem, please, do share!

P.S. - I am kinda curious why, after years of users asking for it, GIFs still aren't working right in dialogs? I only ask this for knowledge, I'm not trying to bash Khaled for not having it yet. Curiosity wants to know.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
mIRC doesn't allow you to move a control once created in a dialog, but a dll like dcx.dll can. You could script it with /did -g and a timer if you could extract all frames from the gif.
You could write a dll (though I suppose you are not familiar with language which can create dll like C/C++ delphi..) but you would still need to know about gif structure etc. It would be easier to find a piece of code made by someone and to try making a dll from it but again if you have no idea about dll creation, it's not going to be easy.

I think it would be a nice addition for mIRC to have support for gif built-in.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Way back when I was still in school, I spent enough time in HTML to dip my toes into CSS, but it ended quickly, and that's the farthest I've gotten into standard coding. So far, I guess I'm just SoL on this one. smirk

I'm guessing that GIFs in Dialog serve an almost purely superficial purpose, so functionally, they would server mIRC next to none, and that's my best guess as to why Khaled hasn't added support for it.

My particular purpose is to use OBS to capture the dialog with GIF and overlay it onto a Twitch stream, but I guess I'm gonna have to dabble in the online 3rd Party Market. *gag* I like things so much better when I handmake them. Makes me feel better about myself.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
If your gif are static (you know them in advance), you can just use a software/online tool to get the frame and display them with a script.
Moreover it may not be so hard to write a script which connect to an online tool seperating the frame and then you can download them back, to make it dynamic.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
I would not give up. Last time I showed you a dialog I created using picwin. Here is a video of pacman, also in picwin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gthfId1uIb4&t=9s

This is just some of the things you can create with mIRC. As Wims mentioned, you can always just use a tool to create multiple images then display them and replicate the illusion of a GIF.

another cool game created with picwin in mIRC:

Link Copied to Clipboard