mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
sdamon Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
S
If mirc has been running for a while (a few days), and I have to rejoin an exceptionally large channel (1400+ users), mirc will crash - sometimes. It also crashes sometimes when I manually /names the channels (for example when resyncing from a netsplit).

I have only noticed this when doing /names or rejoining massive channels after mirc has been up for quite a while. This has been happening intermittently since I upgraded to 7.46.

I have no DLL's loaded, and no events that should be triggered on a names reply. This happens on network with standard names replies and on networks with extended names replies (names replies will full hostmasks). In the latter case, it happens on smaller channels.

I can conjecture wildly about what the cause is, but as I cannot reproduce it reliably, that would be worthless.

Last edited by sdamon; 16/10/16 03:55 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I would really need to find a method of reproducing this, as I have not experienced this issue myself and no one else has reported it so far. Which version of mIRC were you using before that did not crash?

If you install a clean copy of mIRC into a new, empty folder in your Windows Documents folder, using the portable option in the installer, do you see the same issue?

If you add mIRC to your exceptions list in your anti-virus software, do you see the same issue?

S
sdamon Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
S
I have not been able to reproduce this in either my regular or a clean install, though I will be diligent to collect more information if I can if it happens again.

I do not run an antivirus (...that's not entirely correct, I run Windows 10, and that comes with an antimalware by default).

I was running whatever version was released previously. I don't remember the version number, but I keep up to date.

S
sdamon Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
S
I launched the 2015 debugger when it crashed tonight...

Unhandled exception at 0x00EB266E in mirc.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

which disassembles to

00EB266E movzx eax,word ptr [edi]

Almost as helpful as "it doesn't work" but its the best I can do without symbols.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
I was running whatever version was released previously. I don't remember the version number, but I keep up to date.

Okay, just to be sure, if you install mIRC v7.45 (you can find it here), do you see the same issue?

If v7.45 does not cause the same issue, I will compare changes between v7.45 and v7.46 to see if I can track down the issue and release a beta for testing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for that, unfortunately it is difficult to track down the cause of the issue without more debugging information.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have compared the changes between v7.45 and v7.46 but have not been able to spot any obvious issues. There are hundreds of changes across fifty or so files, however the most critical changes are those to floating point precision, flushing files to disk during copy/move, regular expressions, and URL extraction.

In addition to checking whether this issue happens when you use v7.45 (which will narrow it down to an issue with v7.46), if you type "/debug on" in the status window, this will write server events to a debug.log file. After a crash, can you post the last few lines of your debug.log here? It may be that the crash is due to a specific server event. Thanks.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Hardware/software issue. You should try install mIRC on clean Windows. Anyway, backup your logs/scripts.

when no one watching us
we are invisible
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have just released a beta (see bug reports section, top post) that includes a number of changes. If You try out this beta, does it still show the same issue?

Link Copied to Clipboard