mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
This might be a stupid question, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

I need to read from an INI file that's hosted on the Internet, for example off GitHub. The goal I have in mind is a shared database type thing. It's mostly for a little points system I have, but I could easily use it for other things.

Any way I can achieve this goal?

Last edited by CraftLifeGaming; 06/10/16 05:01 AM.
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Give some example - link to GitHub with data and output you want.

Dont give a fish - teach to fish!
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
You'll need a host that allows for (1) you to upload files and (2) allows for downloading of such files. AFAIK github forbids this sort of distribution of files short of repo releases.

You could possibly used something such as a pastebin site and tap into their api but even then they limit. If you do find a site that allows for easy upload/download via an API I won't mind steering you in the right direction smile

I am SReject
My Stuff
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
My goal is to read something from a site on the Internet as if it was an INI file. GitHub was just an example to get my point across. The idea is, I can store users, and users points on the Internet, and then read it from the script. I will just have to figure something out myself for how to update it from the script.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Give some example - link to GitHubwhatever-site-you-want with data and output you want.

Dont give a fish - teach to fish!
C
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
If I were to host it on my own site, or GitHub, doesn't really matter, how would I read the text that the file contains, as if it was an INI? As an example, I have a section called 'test' and it has an item called points, with the value of 100. How can I read that, if it's on GitHub, my website, or whatever, and be able to output it on Twitch?

I don't have a link I can give you since I don't have it uploaded anywhere, I just want to know how to read the text from it, and interpret it as a certain type of file, in this case an INI file.

Last edited by CraftLifeGaming; 07/10/16 11:45 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard