mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
djvj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
I have an odd issue that when I add a new server, and go back and edit those server settings, like setting a new port, it uses the old port I previously set after I select the server and even open it in a new window or not. I can also set a password to connect, yet it always tells me password is invalid when trying to connect, yet I know it's right because the same password works using the /server command.

The only way I can connect to my znc server is by using the /server command in the status window and connecting that way. Using the Server list never works.

Does anyone know what causes this or is this a bug? It's happened to me for a long time and on many revisions of mirc, but only now reporting it as it's annoyed me for too long lol...

I don't want to have to use the /server command as this doesn't save and automatically connect when I close mirc and reopen it later.

Last edited by djvj; 07/03/16 01:55 AM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
If mirc.ini is in program files you won't be able to write to it without administrative privileges, mIRC hasn't stored the settings there for many years and instead uses the %appdata% directory.

D
djvj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Thanks for the response Loki, that is not my issue though.

The only mirc.ini in program files is in the defaults subfolder.

In AppData is where I see servers.ini and mirc.ini with recent modified dates and the changes I made to it.

I noticed there is a few standards to what is stored, password-wise, in these ini files.

In servers.ini, a server password looks obfuscated in the [servers] section, but in the [recent] section it is plain text. In mirc.ini, the server password is obfuscated differently in the [mirc] section hosts key.

I'm not sure why but maybe the developer should pick one method, hopefully an obfuscated flavor. This might be why when I close mirc, and try to connect to the last server I was on, I get an invalid password. It might be decrypting the password wrong.

D
djvj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Here is both problems. Wrong port and wrong password even though it's set right.

I have a group called ZNC with 2 servers in it, One points to my local server IP, the other points to my DNS and a different IP that my router forwards to the correct local one.

When I try to connect to either one of them, mirc cycles through both, but only uses the correct port on the WAN server, which is 1003. It uses 1003 for the local as well. This tells me this is a bug in mirc:

Code:
* Connecting to mydomain.com (+1003)
-
Invalid Password
-
* Disconnected
-
* Connect retry #1 192.168.1.50 (+1003)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-

Local port should be 1025, which is how the entry is in servers.ini and in the servers window in mirc itself.

Now if I supply this command in the status window, I connect fine:

/server 192.168.1.50 +1025 nick:password

Now if I disconnect and leave mirc open, but goto Options and hit connect, I get the same as above, but now both ports are 1025!!

Code:
* Connecting to 192.168.1.50 (+1025)
-
Invalid Password
-
* Disconnected
-
* Connect retry #1 mydomain.com (+1025)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)

Last edited by djvj; 07/03/16 05:10 AM.
I
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
I
try to type /server 192.168.1.50:1025 nick:password

i think dont use +1025 as port....

D
djvj Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Originally Posted By: Iyou
try to type /server 192.168.1.50:1025 nick:password

i think dont use +1025 as port....

I think you misunderstand. There is no problem with the /server command. The problem lies with mirc is not obeying correct settings from it's own ini files when clicking the connect button.

I
I
oh than sorry ..
hmmm

can you post the ini content?

Link Copied to Clipboard