mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#256820 19/02/16 08:20 PM
gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
I see some changes have been made to the Toolbar for icon sizes, etc. I'd like an option to replace the Toolbar completely with a Custom Window, of any size, that could have all the features a custom window can now have. This would allow for things like music controls with readouts, sliders, etc.

Also, while I'm dreaming, I'd like retractable side custom windows that when 'pinned' would cause the status and channel windows, etc. to resize within the remaining available area.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
You have /toolbar to customize the current toolbar the way you want but certainly it doesn't allow for readouts and sliders.
You can disable the mIRC toolbar.. so the rest is about getting your own toolbar.
You could use /window and dock that window with a dll.
Dlls are made for these specifics cases, where you can't get what you want to be done with current scripting and such dlls exist, for example dcx.dll does docking very well.
Question is now is it that you simply don't want to use a dll for that, or are there real advantages of using a custom window as a toolbar?

I don't think there are real advantages others than getting new controls, I also don't think you actually want a custom window as a toolbar, rather, it would be a way to get what you want: new controls.
Therefore I think it would be a better addition to have more controls on the currrent toolbar, such as text and sliders, I'd love to see these two controls.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Sorry pal, this is a feature request. I am not interested in alternatives that do not do what I am requesting. I know the limitations of the toolbar and crappy disjointed dll overlays.

gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
You couldn't be more wrong; I DO WANT CUSTOM WINDOWS! This would give me 100% control over the toolbar area and it could visually display ANYTHING scriptable along with the ability to make any area 'clickable'.

I DO NOT WANT "K" to waste time guessing what controls everyone MAY want when he could just as easy just make it so the toolbar could be replaced with a custom window.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
I believe your request is very niche, and if implemented would cause more problems that issues solved.

What if two scripts attempt to use an @win for mIRC's main toolbar. How would you expect mIRC to handle such an occasion?

What happens when multiple scripts attempt to add/rem/change items in the main toolbar? Is that to be left to the @win handler to deal with, and if so, how should the handling script detect such changes?

What should happen if the custom toolbar script is unload? Should mIRC leave the @win as the toolbar, or should it revert back to the default toolbar?

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 20/02/16 12:41 AM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Ok gooshie, sorry for the inconvenience, best feature suggestion ever then.
I agree 'K' would waste time guessing what controls everyone may want since there are thousand of feature suggestions like this..wait, no, there are 0 feature suggestion like this, guess 'K' would not waste time since nobody would use that then (they have been using crappy overlays dll and docking right?) and 'K' would only need to implement your two news controls. You could also make your own dll to create your own toolbar with perfect overlays!

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
You can use DCX Tools to dock every windows or dialogs in a toolbar, switchbar, treeview etc.

http://www.tg007.net/file-1713

gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
I'm not talking about adding a toolbar to a dialog box.

DCX offers a diverse number of additional controls to mIRC dialogs.

gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Your response is moot if not naïve. Every piece of code written since the dawn of Eniac runs the risk of conflicting with other code.

Are you trying to paint a picture that somehow mIRC knows what to do when poorly written scripts, from various random sources, are loaded and that any new feature is going to damage this robustness?

What is this resistance to new ideas anyway? You say it is "very niche" but that is the nature of mIRC having such elaborate customization. There are parts of mIRC I, personally, do not use; does that mean I should ask that they be removed?

gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
I'm confused. Which is it; would NO ONE use the new controls or are people already using a dll, as you suggested, to implement features similar to this?

Side Note: Where do I post a suggestion for a middle finger emoticon?

gooshie Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/25669/Friendly_reminder,_forum_guide#Post25669

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
The reason I brought up multiple scripts, is that for data stores and @Wins, scripts can defend against conflicts(though not fullproof) via isolation. As an example, scripts can use a script-specific naming convention for their @win or hash tables. Multiple scripts interacting on the same @Win or hashtable is generally considered bad.

On the other hand, the main toolbar can't be isolated in such a way and its intended/expected for multiple scripts to interact with the toolbar.

--

Though mIRC is very niche, your suggestion in the context of mIRC is very niche.

How many users want to replace the current toolbar with an @win?
What is gained over current functionality?
How easily can it be implemented?

The reasons for the resistance is due to this suggestion being niche. Khaled's time may be better spent on other suggestions that effect more than a handful of users especially considering this request can be accomplished with established dlls such as cwnd.dll or dcx.dll. These solutions may not be ideal, but they further diminish priority of the suggestion.

--

As far as DCX.dll, check out the /udock command. It can dock custom windows around mIRC's UI and is not dialog-specific. In essence to achieve the same 'feel' as this request, simply hide the toolbar, and use the dll to dock an @Win to the top edge of mIRC's display area.

As such, it may be better to suggest that docking functionality become native to mIRC. It would broaden the request thus making it applicable to far more users.

--

(Not sure if you are aware: instead of posting multiple times you can quote multiple users in a single post and edit a post as much as you want to include more information)

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 20/02/16 05:00 PM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Both. Let's be clear, only a picture window would allow you to get custom controls. Out of all the people (which i think is already a very small number) who may want more custom controls (you more or less agreed you really want more controls when you said you don't want to waste K's time), how many 1) are willing to implement them via picwin and 2) are technical enough to do it?

People would not use that because they are using dlls. I myself love picwin and could totally use that feature, still far easier with dcx. People are not going to write GUI with picwin anymore. It's not a bad suggestion in itself, it just targets almost noone.

Ps: your attitude won't get you the feature, if you disagree with what was said, say it, argu back, just don't be like we are all saying non sense

Last edited by Wims; 20/02/16 08:33 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard