mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#256029 13/12/15 11:06 AM
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
Is a good idea add an option to mIRC for edit the logs. mIRC open the logs for read too faster, if it open the log for edit in a similar speed is more good for me and for others. I no use a dedicated text editor for open the text, I tested Word, OpenOffice and IDM Ultraedit and it's programs need much time for open the files, in notepad the files of more 1MB, the time needed for open it is eternal, and I use the Windows Notepad for open the text files (*.txt, .log).

And sorry for my english.

Bye smile.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
mIRC is not a text editor. There are plenty of text editors that can handle large text files. A quick Google search brings up a bunch of responses. You should use those to edit logs.

But really, you should not be editing a log file. Not only does editing a log file defeat the purpose of having a "log", you should also be aware that mIRC may be writing to this file while you are editing it, and bad things will happen if you try to modify a file that is being written to in another process.

I don't see why mIRC should become a text editor when there are plenty available.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
C
OP Offline
C
Yes, have much programs for edit the text, but you need other program, why need other program if a only ptogram (mIRC) do it for you?.

I need the text editor for edit the logs because I have a YouTube script what type messages in the log like this:

"No updates are available".

These messages are typed in the log every time the mIRC is started.

I understand one reason why you not are much happy with the option for edit the logs in mIRC, probably you think what the people modificate the logs for bad purposes, but with others ways you are capable to modificate the logs.

Bye, be happy smile.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
So what if a script logs a line? That's no reason to edit a log file.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you find yourself undoing automatic script actions by hand, something is really wrong already. As such, you are asking for a feature that will help you resolve the symptoms of your problem, not the problem itself. Instead, if you do not want those "no update" lines in your log files, you should modify the youtube script not to log them. This is pretty easy once you know what to do, and there are other section of this forum where people will be happy to help you out. I think you'll agree that you, too, will be happier if you don't have to edit your log files at all anymore, right?

As for your actual request: log files are supposed to be append-only by nature, so I also disagree that mIRC should have a facility to edit them. But as usual, the ultimate decision is with Khaled, so please do not take offense to people suggesting it is not a great idea. It is just a natural part of the discussion. If Khaled likes your idea, he will add it anyway.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the atention and the support.

Bye.

Link Copied to Clipboard