mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#25394 21/05/03 10:57 PM
C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
Since someone made a post about the Editor, i thought i'd throw in my own little suggestion. What the Editor needs is colors. Maybe even customizable colors, such as black for background, red for alias, greeen for identifiers and yellow for commands. It would make life a lot easier. There's already several app doing this out there, and some even support miRC, such as Editplus. The link below is a screen shot of Editplus which will clarify for the ones among you that didn't understand what i meant.

Click me.

I think it would be a great addition, since the Editor is one of the few things in miRC that you cannot customize.

- cF
Dedicated helper for rent.
P
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
P
Yes, I agree 100% about this suggestion.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Why make mIRC bloated by including this feature when, as you said, editplus can already do it for you?

C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
For the very simple reason that it's not everyone that know that Editplus does that. And it'd be fun to edit/create scripts in the same environnement. Editplus doesn't have the bracket check, and you can't switch from alias to remotes to variables with a single click.

- cF
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Watch out!
Shameless plug comes here.

I did a bunch of tools that work with Editplus (stx's, an app that allows you to reload scripts in mIRC with a button press, a documentation script)

Its called IDEmIRC - I made it coz I love Editplus. I love mIRC. Now, I've cut an alt+tab outta my love life.

The file:
IDEmIRC

Hell, I'm a shameless marketing machine, aren't I?

V
vEX Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
V
I like the editor the way it is and if colors would be added I would like an option to turn them off.
It's the same when doing homepages, all I use is notepad.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Good to see that there's someone that thinks like me. Syntax highlighting is for blouses. Notepad rocks.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
The only "bloatish" feature I like in an IDE is "syntax completing" I mean does anyone here honestly NEVER /help $something when they write scripts? Personally, I always forget the order of the params for stuff like $puttok. In MSVS, it has syntax completion, like if I typed:
$puttok(
a tooltip would popup with "$puttok(text,token,N,C)", so you never have to look up the syntax for anything.

To me, something like that is 1000x more useful than coloring stuff.

C
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
C
Yeah thats not a bad idea either.

- cF
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:

I mean does anyone here honestly NEVER /help $something when they write scripts?

Guilty as charged.. I type /help repeatidly smirk

-KingTomato
B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
What about actual "customization" instead of just customization of colors? Where you can actually have events that go off when you do certain things in the script editor, such as typing "alias blah" will make it auto-matically stick the { in, place the cursor a space past it, insert a space after the cursor and put the } after it. (but only doing this if insert is off).

The same could go for the if/then/else statements. I don't see how it'd be too hard to make it do these things auto-matically if some sort of macro scripting language specifically for the editor is implimented.

If someone thinks it's "bloating" their mIRC by making it work about 5 milliseconds slower, the option to have macros running could be disabled..

What I'm talking about are event driven macros too, not just regular macros that a user creates then runs at a click of the button. This option would be good because people could script more easily using whatever macros it is that they want.

-- edit
oh, and yea.. I type /help a lot too.. heh

Last edited by BoredNL; 23/05/03 09:14 PM.

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
#25405 24/05/03 04:04 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I dyslexicly read this thread, and thought..
"How cool would it be to have Agent read lines of script to you from the editor!?"

*sigh*

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
#25406 25/05/03 03:34 AM
B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
dang it.. Why don't people like macros?

Event driven macros at that..

It'd make scripting a lot easier.. Even the process of scripting would be customizable to suit the needs of the scripter for while he/her is scripting..

The problem with using my ultra edit with macros is that I can't test scripts very easily and quickly that way.. It's a pain in the butt.. Also the macros in ultra edit and most other editors are not "event driven". I'd love to see event driven macros..

Why don't you guys even respond to the idea of macros for the editor?

- Wherever you go there you are.[color:lightgreen]
E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
I was just about to post the same idea, This would be great!

E
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
E
Ohh, i'd love that, this would be grat! can't wait to se mIRC 6.04 with this...

Link Copied to Clipboard