Print Thread
#253299 08/06/15 07:37 AM
F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
Hi there,

I figured this would of been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere so here it goes.

I am currently connect to a chat channel, and use the built in text to speech function to read back what is typed in chat.
By default the audio output is always being sent to the default playback device (my speakers), however I would like to send it to another playback device (my headphones).

How can I do this? If it can't be done in mIRC how else can I do it?

Thanks!
ForbiddenSoul

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
This is a bug, please report it in the Bug reports, or wait for it to be moved there with an answer smile
There are no way in mIRC to redirect audio to a specific device, mIRC should be consistent and use the appropriate one, the speakers or headphones if they are plugged in

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Not sure if you can redirect sounds from mIRC ONLY to specific device, but you can use VAC (virtual audio cable) to change default output device to virtual cable and then redirect output of this virtual cable to any real device you want.

Dont give a fish - teach to fish!
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Yeah, I was talking about doing it from mIRC specifically smile

N
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
N
From what I gathered, it is using the default one (Speakers) and OP is requesting it moved to non-default one (Headphones) which makes me believe it's working as intended.

Nillens @ irc.twitch.tv
Nillen @ irc.rizon.net
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Originally Posted By: Wims
This is a bug

probably *sarcasm* smile

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
By default the audio output is always being sent to the default playback device (my speakers), however I would like to send it to another playback device (my headphones).
This, to me, indicates audio is sent to the speakers whereas he has headphones plugged, this would be the bug, mIRC should redirect any audio to the headphones in this cases, nothing should be sent to the speakers when you have headphones plugged

edit: The above is with a typical configuration, which I assumed because it wasn't clear imo, it looks like he has both speakers and headphones plugged with one being the default playback device, while he want the non default device to be used.

Last edited by Wims; 09/06/15 12:29 PM.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
To another output device which is used too and is not default (for some progs\games which have option "send sound to device X")

F
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry it took so long for me to get back.

Thanks for the answers, Ill probably go with the virtual audio cable thing seeing as how I still don't think it is possible to achieve in mIRC alone.

It's not a bug, but I can move the post there if it is necessary.
My default device in Windows is the speakers (It should be headphones correct, but I have manually changed it.), but I would like to instruct mIRC to use the headphones instead of the default device.

The reason I want to do this is so that I can connect to my twitch.tv channel (I,m sure u guys are sick of all the twitch questions), use the built in text to speech function, and then have it read to me while I am streaming.

This make it actually possible for me to keep track of what is said in chat while I have something else taking 100% of my visual attention.

The only issue is my streaming software will stream all audio from my speakers, including the chat being read, to everyone watching. I do not want that to happen. If I can output the TTS part to my headphones, I listen to the TTS through those, and tell the stream software not to output that device.

I tried fiddling around with software audio cables, but I can't find a way to find program specific output and redirect it somewhere else, only device specific output.

I see people on twitch doing it all the time, possibly from another machine, so I know it is possible. Maybe not with mIRC though.

If you have any helpful advice I would appreciate it, and thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

I'll let you know if I find a solution on my own.

Thanks!

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
In genereal, it looks like: "cable1" for all software which DONT let you change its output (like bwoser, mIRC, windows sounds), "cable2" for your game, "cable3" for some audio player, "cable4" to output audio to stream (used as micro in streaming software), "cable5" to output audio to you. And then you can combine as you wish: send from cable1 + cable2 to cable5, and send from cable2 + cable3 to cable4. So you will receive all default sounds and game sounds, but your viewers only receive game + music sounds.
Code:
cable1 = default
cable2 = game
cable3 = audio player
cable4 = cable2 + cable3
cable5 = cable1 + cable2

The only problem i know, is that you can get small delay for game sounds (about 1 second, BUT for me that was too much, when something happens in game and you hear it only after 1 sec passed (depends on game ofc).

Link Copied to Clipboard