mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Hello mIRC.

I'm a fairly new user when it comes to mIRC, or coding in general. What my question is mainly directed to is hosting a IRC bot. I want it to have a 24/7 uptime, and if possible, be able to stay in multiple chats at once.

What do I use to host? I've heard something about shells and BNC or VPN. I just need to know what the software is called, how much it costs. I'd love examples on the most common IRC hosting services.

How do I control it? When I'm in the hosting service, can I join channels on my own, or do I have to go in and change some settings?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A shell is basically a user account on a computer somewhere that's connected 24/7. Most commonly people use a Linux shell that runs Linux software, but there are some Windows shells out there that could run mIRC.

Most bots are written for Linux, so hosting mIRC as a bot remotely isn't going to be as straight forward as simply installing a ready-made bot for Linux.

Of course, you could simply leave your computer powered on and connected to the Internet 24/7.

A BNC (common software used is ZNC) is just a proxy relay for a client to connect through, except when your client disconnects the proxy will remain connected and await your return. Your bot wouldn't be responsive for the duration that mIRC is disconnected from the BNC.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!

Link Copied to Clipboard