#24932 18/05/03 10:56 PM
C
Creak Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
Hi !
I've just downloaded Opera 7.11 which is much better than IE in so many way ! But there is not the question, i've just remarked that it doesn't take the irc:// format links frown
I know that "this at the moment only seems to be working for MS Internet Exploder, not Netscape", but it was just to say that Opera doesn't takes it too.

I absolutely don't know how u did the irc:// format links (dispite the fact that i program too), so i just want to ask u a question : does it have connections with the navigator ? (i mean is it a plugin added to IE in the installation - which could explain why it only works wih it - or is it something more burried in the windows programmation ?)

Regards,
Creak

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Opera doesn't support "irc://" format because it is not a standart. It isn't even a protocol, just a shortcut to mIRC program -- so it shouldn't have a protocol syntax. "ircto:" for instance would look better..

We at MyOpera.net (russian Opera fansite) tried to make it understand "irc://", but failed. And it isn't supposed to supply features of a program made by a single person.

Even if it's the most popular IRC client...

Maybe it would be better to use something like
"file://localhost/c:/MIRC/mirc.exe -s irc.server.com -j #chan"
...but to make it somehow not folder-dependable

Maybe something like "Would you like mIRC installer to put the mIRChttp.exe into let mIRC catch the web links to IRC channels?"

Not very ergonomic, but its something...

-= endless in a victory of a yourself =-
C
Creak Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I think it's possible to do a plugin for IE and another for Opera that check the link and if a link has the irc:// format then it launch mirc with the good server etc..

Of course, it's better to have a irc:// protocol that works as well as http://... but if there is some other way to bipass this system for a moment and make it works for all navigators while waiting for a system that truly works... maybe it'd be better, don't you think ?

++
Creak

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Plugins would be great

R
Babel fish
Babel fish
R
Hi MauS... Have a look-see here. Granted it's just an IETF Draft but even W3C references it.

As for "supporting" the IRC:// URL scheme, no browser should be expected to handle it - but I'd hope that it would pass it off to the system like any other unrecognized or unsupported protocol.

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Woo hoo, seems it'd be better to write to Opera Wishlist Forum

X
XP1 Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
X
uh