mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Bramzee Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Well, I'm not sure why but for some reason I can't get this working. I had it working on my old computer using just

Code:
msg # $read(file.txt)

But now it's not working. It reads everything right up until the "$" that is inside (no there's no way of changing that, unfortunately) after the $ it output's random letters and numbers.

I've tried everything in the help file...
$read(file.txt, t)
$read(file.txt, 1)
$read(file.txt, t, 1)

and a bunch of others even if it didn't seem like it would work (waste of time but I wanted to make sure I exhausted myself before asking help...)

Any help is appreciated at this point. Thanks guys. You're the best smile

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
By default, $read will evaluate the text it reads as if it was mSL code. To prevent this behavior you must use the n switch. Unless you specifically want the text file to contain mSL code, you should make a habit of using -n when using $read to prevent abuse.

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/248713/Re:_Donation_goal_tracker?#Post248713

Bramzee Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
I did that. Still didn't work. And even without that, last week just plain msg # $read(file.txt) was working. I have changed absolutely nothing about the portion of the script I am using. It just, stopped working.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Did you?

I suggest you reread Belhifet's answer as many times as needed until you really do understand it but I'll state again:

Without the 'n' switch, lines are evaluated when read, which is why you were talking about getting random stuff after the '$', that's because it was an identifier, which got evaluated.

We didn't say $read(file.txt) doesn't work, it worked last week and it will work tomorrow, just not the way you want, use the 'n' switch.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
N
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
N
Plain "msg # $read(file.txt)" will never work as you want it to. What you need is the 'n' to prevent $1 from being evaluated into msl code from the text file.

Take a look at this simple example:
Code:
alias Bramzee {
  echo -a You just wrote $iif($1,$1,nothing) 
  if ($1) write -c file.txt $1
  var %read $read(file.txt,n)
  echo -a Inside file.txt there's currently: %read
}

Example usage: /Bramzee $1
Quote:
You just wrote $1.50
Inside file.txt there's currently: $1.50
You just wrote nothing
Inside file.txt there's currently: $1.50
You just wrote $99.99
Inside file.txt there's currently: $99.99
You just wrote nothing
Inside file.txt there's currently: $99.99
You just wrote $1
Inside file.txt there's currently: $1
You just wrote nothing
Inside file.txt there's currently: $1
You just wrote $2
Inside file.txt there's currently: $2
You just wrote nothing
Inside file.txt there's currently: $2

Nillens @ irc.twitch.tv
Nillen @ irc.rizon.net
Bramzee Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
thank you nillen. I've got it working. didn't think to use a var for this (I gotta quit attempting to fix things only when I'm tired. Maybe if I tried when I was actually awake I might do something decent lol)

N
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
N
Making it into a variable has nothing to do with it. I simply made the variable use '$read(file.txt,n)' which was the fix.

My personal style of scripting uses a lot of local variables to keep it clean. For instance I'd normally use %donation for $read(file.txt,n) if it was what I was looking for. And normally I'd also use %file for file.txt - This is all to keep it simpler, faster (to type) and nicer for long codes. It has nothing at all to do with the way mSL interprets it.

Nillens @ irc.twitch.tv
Nillen @ irc.rizon.net
Bramzee Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Well, I'm still "new" to all this. But the variable worked for some reason. When I had just msg # $read(file.txt,n) nothing worked. I switched it to

if (%1 == file.txt) {
var %readdonation $read(file.txt,n)
msg # %readdonation
}

and it worked.

Either way, thanks for the help smile
It's working now and I guess that's what matters :P

Link Copied to Clipboard