Print Thread
S
sea Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
My OS is Win 7 64bit.

I have used mIRC 6.35 for servers not supporting UTF-8.

And having freeze problem. mIRC freeze every minute for 10 seconds.

I updated mIRC 6.35 to 7.32 but it doesn't make any change. Still, mIRC keeps freezing.

When it's not freezing, I don't have any problem. I can swift trees by Ctrl + Tab rapidly.

After having problem, I updated open ssl too(latest x64 lite version). But, it's not helpful.

When I typed '//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0) . $chan(0) $ial(*,0)', it says '7 7.32 7847343ad9b1ec455154950f051134af ok 1 1 0 0 . 1 71'.

/timer says '* No active timers'

I am using scripts that automatically join to servers and channels. Remote.ini is the file.

mIRC is connected to 25 servers(22 servers are ssl) and 41 channels.

/remote off doesn't make any change when I didn't restart mIRC.

However, I restarted mIRC and manually joined to servers and channels then, mIRC did not freeze anymore.(sitll remote is off) I typed '/remote on' without restart and mIRC did not freeze. After restart, mIRC keeps freezing again.

When remote and 'Display invalid certificates for approval' are on and mIRC is started, only 3 or 4 messages displayed while when I manually joined servers and channels, almost of servers using SSL port displayed messages. I think mIRC skipped some SSL certificates because it has to connect to many servers in the same time. Could this be a problem?

I have tried to turn on mIRC with 'Skip connections with invalid certificates' on and mIRC joined 5 SSL servers and 3 normal servers and no freezing.

I have tried to ruen on mIRC again with same settins for what servers can be connected. And, the result is a little bit different. Same servers and no freezing but, constantly CPU loaded highly. I have tried again within 1 or 2 minutes and the result is same.(servers, no freezing, CPU high load)

And, in fourth try 5 or 6 minutes after third try, same situation without CPU high load.

What's going on?!

I did that 30 minutes after with not minimized and CPU is highly loaded. Right after that, I restarted mIRC with minimized and no freezing. I repeated twice more. CPU is only highly load when mIRC is not minimized.

What's going on!!!

'Automatically accept invalid certificates' and minimize don't solve my problem.

What is the problem and how can I solve that?

If you need more information or test, post a reply. Then, I will answer and test that.

Thank you.

Last edited by sea; 09/12/13 03:18 AM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Yeah it's not the first people report that.
From the few tests I made, it's reproducable without SSL, without joining channels on the connected servers, without remote on, but more than 7-10 connections to some irc servers are needed.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
R
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
R
I've been having issues with mIRC for quite some time now and it's very similar or the same as yours.
The client keeps freezing, quite frequently, sort of like every 10th second or so, the freeze is about 2 seconds.
Not only that, the CPU load is abnormally high, in fact, mIRC is the process that uses my processor the most and it goes everywhere between 3% up to around 50% (!).

I unloaded a few scripts here and there but it didn't help, so right now I've just enabled simple scripts that shouldn't make the client freeze or use a lot of CPU. What we all seem to have in common are SSL connections and a lot of active servers?
I'm on 13 networks and two of these uses SSL (esper.net and a private one).

What to do -_-.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In order track down what is causing the freezes, you would need to install a clean copy of mIRC in an empty folder with no scripts and default settings. The best way to do this is to install mIRC using the portable option in the installer in an mIRC folder in your Documents folder.

Once you have done that, try connecting to a few servers and channels and see if you can track down exactly when the issue starts happening.

mIRC performs a large number of tasks in the background. The main background timer for mIRC, which is triggered once a second, alone processes over thirty different features, from blinking icons to transfer timeouts and much more. In addition, every server event can trigger a large number of other features, some of which can be processor intensive, such as the Nick Colors and Highlight features. If you add scripts and SSL connections to the mix, that increases the processing time even more.

If you are connected to a large number of servers and have joined a large number of channels, all of these events and features combined will result in a high CPU load.

R
R
Hello Khaled.

I tried installing the latest version of mIRC in portable mode, I then added a simple line in remote.ini that would connect and join a bunch of channels on different servers.

The results were the same, the interface is freezing now and then. What I did and the results:
1) All servers + channels: Freezing.
2) Removed all SSL servers: Freezing.
3) Removed my quakenet server thus closing 20 channel windows: Freezing.

Right now I am currently connected to 11 servers and I still get freezes and I just monitored CPU usage and it jumped up to 37.8%.

I've worked my way down to 8 servers (20 channels in total) and none of the channels are particularly big, one of the servers I closed down had (3) channels, one with over 1000 users (if that makes any difference). The lag is starting to decrease but it's still freezing, just not as frequently.

It's pretty obvious that if I keep closing connections it'll get better. Not sure if this was valuable information or not but at least I tried.

S
sea Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Originally Posted By: Khaled
In order track down what is causing the freezes, you would need to install a clean copy of mIRC in an empty folder with no scripts and default settings. The best way to do this is to install mIRC using the portable option in the installer in an mIRC folder in your Documents folder.

In order to install a clean copy of mIRC, I need to remove mIRC cleanly. I've installed mIRC by portable option and deleted using uninstall.exe in mIRC folder. I downloaded mIRC file again and installed it by portable option but, when I started mIRC after install, I saw a message screen that I need to register! And, all servers used by previously install are alive! So, how could I uninstall mIRC cleanly?

attach a gallery link that is dead above post. http://postimg.org/gallery/540rtlds/

Last edited by sea; 24/03/14 03:59 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Did you delete the folder where you installed mIRC as a portable application? This folder will contain all of your custom settings and files. These are not deleted by the uninstaller, as recommended by Microsoft guidelines for uninstallers, which state that all of a user's custom settings and files after using an application should be left in place.

If you have previously installed mIRC without using the "portable" option, you will find your mIRC settings in your Users AppData\Roaming\mIRC folder, which is the Microsoft recommended location for saving user's settings and files (when not running in portable mode). You may need to delete that mIRC folder as well, if it exists.

S
sea Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Did you delete the folder where you installed mIRC as a portable application? This folder will contain all of your custom settings and files. These are not deleted by the uninstaller, as recommended by Microsoft guidelines for uninstallers, which state that all of a user's custom settings and files after using an application should be left in place.

If you have previously installed mIRC without using the "portable" option, you will find your mIRC settings in your Users AppData\Roaming\mIRC folder, which is the Microsoft recommended location for saving user's settings and files (when not running in portable mode). You may need to delete that mIRC folder as well, if it exists.
I deleted the folder where I installed mIRC as a portable application. I installed after deleting AppData\Roaming\mIRC then it's installed clenaly.

Now, I just joined all servers and channels (10 servers and 23 channels) manually. I will use remote script after let you know someting.

Every time I connect to a server, my CPU is loaded quite a little.

This image has more specific information.

Before first and seconde red line, stop for a sec and ding(sound) and then go on. Before blue line stop for maybe 3~4 seconds and go on without sound. Before third red line, text is stoped for maybe 4 seconds and ding(sound) maybe 2 seconds after stop.

I was keep connecting and disconnecting to one server for checking time to stop in each line and then,

CPU is highly loaded by mIRC. I disconnected from all server but, it doesn't make any change. It's still in progress over 10 minutes and I think it will keep doing infinitely.

I am going to wait for your reply before starting make remote script.

add
all connections are SSL. Before I kept connecting and disconnecting, it was fine.

Last edited by sea; 24/03/14 07:21 PM.
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
In order track down what is causing the freezes..
The freeze has been tracked down already and I gave the steps to reproduce in my post confused
There might be several issues but one problem is the number of connected server you have, you don't even need to join channels, just get a lot of status windows to be connected, the number will vary from machine to machine of course but at some point mIRC will freeze every X seconds very consistently.

Note: users in this thread including me had 25, 11, 10, and 13 connected status windows, I'm certain it's the cause of the freeze, I do not know of anyone who can use mIRC after getting a certain number of status window to be connected, and that is with no SSL connection, no joined channels, with remote off, on a clean install, portable install, anything, as long as you have a certain number (depends on your machine) of connected status windows.

Last edited by Wims; 24/03/14 06:59 PM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are few things we can do to try to track down the cause of the issue:

1) Run the following command in the status window to turn off a number of features:

//treebar off | switchbar off | ebeeps off | flood off | remote off | notify off | ignore off | aop off | avoice off | protect off

2) Open the Address Book/Highlight dialog and turn off highlighting.

3) Open the Options/Connect/Options/Ports dialog and turn off all UPnP options.

4) Open the Options/IRC/Logging/Options dialog and turn off all logging.

If you do the above, does that help at all?

If it does not, are you using anti-virus or security software? If you disable/unload it, does that help?

Last edited by Khaled; 26/03/14 02:59 PM.
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
I have been having this exact same problem for years.

Some times worse than others.

Lately, it has been quite annoying again:

Every minute, mIRC becomes completely unusable for a few seconds (100% utilization of a single CPU core).

As previous posters already mentioned, the freeze intensity/duration seems to correlate with the number of open server connections. In the case of the screenshot above, there are 18 networks connected, 6 of them to the same server IP (BNC).

I have tried everything mentioned in your previous post. None of it improved it.

So I started to play around with
Code:
/scid -a debug -pt @debug

and also used Sysinternals ProcMon to monitor the activity of mIRC.exe.

I noticed that whenever the freezes occur, there is also network activity for multiple server connections (beyond the regular channel activity which is nearly silent).

Matching that network activity to what is seen in the @debug view, it looks like this might be related to PING? PONG! events.

Is this something that can help track down the problem? I don't think there can be done much more without detailed profiling using a debug mIRC.exe build.

--
Current version information: Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19, mIRC 7.51

Last edited by m0viefreak; 19/10/17 09:52 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Maybe a bad server connection? SSL related. mIRC tends to hang up (for me) when it experiences a disconnect and attempt to reconnect in one of your server tabs. It drives me nuts at times, so I wrote an alias to show me the connection states of every cid.

If you have reconnect retry set to 60 seconds, that might be it.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You will need to follow the steps I provided in my first reply, eg. install a clean, portable copy of mIRC, no scripts/DLLS, and so on. You can then run this copy of mIRC to see if the issue is still present.

It would be very easy to make mIRC to freeze repeatedly if you are using scripts that process events on many channels with many users. In addition, some features in mIRC may be processed once or more a minute, eg. the nick colors or highlight feature, and are CPU intensive as they depend on finding matches in nickname lists on all of the channels you are on. If you are on channels with thousands of users, mIRC will need to apply those features/settings to thousands of users once a minute, which takes time.

The first step is to narrow down the cause of the issue. If you can narrow it down to a specific feature, script, etc. this may help you optimize it or at least pinpoint a feature that I might be able to optimize.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was able to reproduce a freezing issue that occurred once a minute and became worse the more connected status windows were opened. I managed to track it down by commenting out the fifty or so features called by the main timer routine and narrowed it down to the online timer feature. There was a call in the online timer routine that was not optimized. If you open the Online Timer dialog and disable the online timer, does this resolve your issue? In any case, optimizing the online timer call has now removed the freezing completely for me. This change will be in the next version.

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Awesome, that was it! smile

I disabled the online timer and the freezes are gone for me, too.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How many decades before the Online Timer explodes, Khaled? smile Good catch btw, thanks!

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
N
naf Offline
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
I was sent a link to this thread by a friend who I was talking to regarding problems with mIRC taking up an entire core of processing power and freezing whenever i reconnect to ZNC.

I tried disabling the "Online Timer" and it seemed to help some what, but I noticed that another time mIRC seems to take up an unreasonable amount of processing power is when it cannot connect to a server and retries the connection every X seconds. For some reason this slows things down a lot. Usually that's only the case for me when either my internet connection dies, or I was connected to a network listed in the default mIRC options through my personal bouncer, and a disconnect occurs, and mIRC begins attempting to connect to the address listed in the default options for that network at the wrong port (the port of my bouncer), instead of my bouncer's address. I realize I can put my bouncer as a server in the options though.

Just wanted to add my observations in hopes of improving the software for the following versions.

Last edited by naf; 23/10/17 07:25 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard