mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
Code:
%count = $regex($1-,/\bLion\b|\bTiger\b/g)

It registers Lion when you type 'lion' alone, but not 'tiger' when you type it alone. Other than that it works fine.

Thanks.

I
Babel fish
Babel fish
I
It should not match lion because regex is by default case sensitive... Are you sure you didn't type Lion?

You can make the regex case insensitive by adding the i modifier -- as it stands now, your pattern would match Tiger but not tiger or any other variation in case.

As a minor side note, \b will match things you may not want in front of a word, such as punctuation (e.g. ?tiger?), so it'd probably be preferable to use something more specific like (?:^|\s) instead:

Also, why not place lion and tiger in a group (non-capturing if you prefer), and put the (?:^|\s) and \b outside the group?

Code:
%count = $regex($1-,/(?:^|\s)(?:lion|tiger)\b/gi)

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
Thanks for your reply Lire.

It is meant to be case sensitive, I did not write Tiger and Lion with capital. Minor detail I didn't see, sorry.

I simply need both of them to be detected if typed alone - whereas now only one of them is (The first one).

I'm not good with regex, I'm quite confused as to what exactly you wrote there in your example! smile Thanks.

L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
I tried swapping it out with what you wrote. And it does the same thing. "Lion" works but "Tiger" doesn't. It's always the 2nd one that doesn't work.
Code:
%count = $regex($1-,/(?:^|\s)(?:Lion|Tiger)\b/g)

Edit: I think I found out where the actual problem is:
Code:
on $*:TEXT:/Tiger|Lion/:#:

What's wrong there? frown

Last edited by lindenkron; 05/01/14 11:30 AM.
L
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
Hi. Little continuation.

Using
Code:
$regex($1-,/(?:^|\s)(?:Lion|Tiger)\b/g)

How do I make it accept the word if there's anything else next to it except for "\s Matches the space bar character : $regex(test this\s)" (Space bar). What if I want it to match "-Tiger" as well?

Thanks!

Edit: What would help me the best would probably be if someone could break down exactly how that regex works as well (the one I posted) so I can learn something! smile

Last edited by lindenkron; 14/01/14 12:47 AM.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Explain, in English, what you want to match and what you don't want to match. Provide the exact input and your expectation.

And do you actually need a count of the matches?

Link Copied to Clipboard