mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#242373 08/07/13 10:28 PM
B
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
B
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the /nick command quit working with mirc. So I ended up deleting mirc and reinstalled it and the nick command function worked, well up to this Friday I changed my name to jim away and Monday today 7/8/13 I come back to the computer, the nick change option no longer works again.

Nothing was added or changed over the weekend, so I am puzzle why I cannot change my nick in a irc channel no matterwhich one i am in, this makes 3rd time deleting mirc and reinstaling it. Any clues to this cause?

Brother_Jim #242374 08/07/13 10:40 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Did you check the status window in irc? It is possible that the nickname your trying to change to (ie Jim) is already registered to another person, and if this is the case, the IRC server will not let you change to that nickname, its NOT an mIRC problem. Also, what network was this on, that will help determine if the nickname you tried to use is already registered to someone else.

Thanks

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
HorseC #242376 08/07/13 11:32 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: HorseC
Did you check the status window in irc? It is possible that the nickname your trying to change to (ie Jim) is already registered to another person, and if this is the case, the IRC server will not let you change to that nickname, its NOT an mIRC problem. Also, what network was this on, that will help determine if the nickname you tried to use is already registered to someone else.

Thanks

I changed my nick name to Jim|Away before the weekend, and went to Change it back to my real name Brother_Jim, but to answer your question no that name was not in use nor anyone else has it register, the network is irc.flumpirc.net and i am also a service admin on that network, this has happen the 3rd time and as i said once i deleted mirc and reinstalled it the nick change command works for a bit and then stops.

Brother_Jim #242382 09/07/13 03:37 PM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
there is nothing in native mirc that will stop nick change command from working. Do you have any scripts loaded? If so they might be causing the problem. If not, then as an admin you should be able to see debug information and see what the system is seeing and how it is handling the nick change. I still feel this must be a script or ircd issue, not one with mIRC.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
HorseC #242383 09/07/13 04:07 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: HorseC
there is nothing in native mirc that will stop nick change command from working. Do you have any scripts loaded? If so they might be causing the problem. If not, then as an admin you should be able to see debug information and see what the system is seeing and how it is handling the nick change. I still feel this must be a script or ircd issue, not one with mIRC.

Do you have any scripts loaded? > no not this time i left them out, not only does this happen on their server I am on, it also happends to other servers 3 in fact. Like I said if i uninstall mirc and reinstall it work fine for a bit and then quit working. This is what I am stumpped on this issue. I was thinking is it due to my name Brother_Jim, I can change my name if I go to connet and manually change it their like i am goingto log in with that name. Each time I try to change my name, I get the message to change your name back type /nick newname message, it like it is saying my name has been changed but it does not. Strange.

Last edited by Brother_Jim; 09/07/13 04:09 PM.
Brother_Jim #242390 09/07/13 10:11 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Show us the exact message you see about changing your nick. You should not see any message when you change your nick other than just the nick being changed. Any message about changing it back is likely not part of normal mIRC or IRC and would help to narrow down your problem.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #242408 11/07/13 07:56 PM
B
OP Offline
B
when i try to change my nick this is what I get > to change your name back type this /nick your name. > but the name does not change. Like I said i deleted mirc and it worked for a bit and stopped. I used another irc client and logged into our server or any for the fact and it lets me change my nick.

So as I said scratching my head on this one.

Brother_Jim

Brother_Jim #242410 11/07/13 09:50 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unless that is some message from an unusual ircd, it isn't a message that you should be getting. mIRC doesn't tell you that and no servers I've seen tell you anything like that either. It looks to me like a script. Try typing: /remote off

After that, try changing your nick and see if you still get that message. You can also enable debug mode: /debug @debug

After enabling that, try to change your nick and then use /debug off and copy/paste what is in the @debug window here.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #242419 12/07/13 01:55 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Ok tried the first suggestion - same results
so i done the second here is what was said in the rpt.
-> IRC.FlumpIRC.net PRIVMSG #christianfellowship :to change your name back type this /nick your name.
-> IRC.FlumpIRC.net PRIVMSG #christianfellowship :to change your name back type this /nick your name.

Brother_Jim #242423 12/07/13 06:42 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
That shows you are sending text to a channel and doesn't contain a NICK command or any server response.

Loki12583 #242428 12/07/13 09:51 PM
B
OP Offline
B
thats what was recorded to the debug report when typing the nick change command

Loki12583 #242479 19/07/13 08:23 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Loki12583
That shows you are sending text to a channel and doesn't contain a NICK command or any server response.

And this means what? Thats what happen when I type /nick newname

Brother_Jim #242480 19/07/13 08:47 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Unload all scripts, reproduce the issue, then type this and post the results here:

//echo -ag $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $alias(0) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0) $isalias(nick).fname $isalias(nick).alias

Link Copied to Clipboard