Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
mirc 7.19 unregistered :$

/writeini -n C:\IP.ini why why why

* /writeini: error accessing file 'C:\IP.ini'
-

Try it... How do i solve this? It does this for any location for a file named ip.ini. I cannot simply rename this file it is part of a vast collection of thousands of two letter files for machine parts id numbers, this file would hold ids starting in IP.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Certain keywords are not allowed as filenames in mIRC if I remember correctly, and IP is one of them. Change the name and you'll be fine. I don't think there is any way around that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
TRT Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
Works for me in 7.32 and Windows 7 as long as mIRC has write privileges for the directory.
If the latter is not the case I get no error message though, only if the file is in use.

Z
Zabache Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
7.32 winXPro

/writeini -n C:\IP.ini This is an extremely tedious error

* /writeini: error accessing file 'C:\IP.ini'
-

Can anyone tell me why mirc would isolate ip.ini as being universally unwriteable anywhere? Still hoping for a solution.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I should have tested first. Apparently mIRC does fine with IP. I thought it had a problem in the past, but I just don't remember. Anyhow, it writes fine on 6.35 and 7.32. Make sure you have permission to write.

Invision Support
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why mirc would isolate ip.ini as being universally unwriteable anywhere?
This is not a bug, as stated, there are reserved filename, "ip" and such is a reserved filename on XP, not on 7.

edit: QueryDosDevice() is a low level function allowing you to list all the devices name used by the system (and therefore disallowed as filename).
You can use this little program which simply allow you to see them http://www.flounder.com/querydosdevice.htm

Last edited by Wims; 28/06/13 02:17 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Z
Zabache Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Z
TY for the explanation Wims, it'll be a stretch but i'll get around it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Wims, thanks for the clarification on it being XP and not 7. That's the piece I wasn't remembering.

Zabache, depending on how you use the files, if they are just used internally and no one would try to browse through them manually, you can name it something like ip_.ini, but treat it like ip.ini internally. Or, if you want users to look for it manually, you could just put a space in there... "ip .ini". Unless they show extensions, they probably won't notice something like that. Just some ideas.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard