mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
S
It seems that nothing is being done about the smap bots on dalnet. It's bad enough we lost all sorts of servers and spent so much time being unable to get on dal. Now we are dealing with what seems like twice as many spambots! The old ones that were sending users to the infected web site are still up and running, and now there are new ones. And forget about asking an ircOP for help, we have tried in our channel, and they don't even bother responding. Multiple letters have been sent to massads yet we still get the same bots trying to join over and over.
Oh well, I just needed to vent.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well, I think the answer is obvious. If you shop at a store and everytime you go there you are yelled at, mistreated, etc, are you going to continue to shop there? Most likely not; you'll take your business elsewhere. Same holds true for IRC, if you don't like the way the network is run, find another network to go to, not really too much more you can do. I know from experience, contacting DALnet to try and get them to change their policies is futile, so it is doubtful you'll encourage them to change. The only other effective alternative is go elsewhere.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
From what i've seen, it isnt just DALnet suffering from this or from attacks. Altho they seem to be working at getting rid of such things, its a hard never ending battle. Hope you've been sending logs and masks of those you see. Keep in mind that we dont see all that they are doing to fight this kind of crud, altho i've seen many klined for spam, so i know someone is trying. It isnt just up to the admins of any networks, we all have to do our part by letting ppl know to stop clicking on every url they see and to be smart about downloading, as well as reporting the spammers we see. Spam is seriously annoying, and while i agree the networks should do their part, i think each user has responsibility in this too.

A better place to voice your complaints would be on the main DALnet mailing list, which you can sign up for at www.dal.net.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Parabrat is right, advertising is something that happens on all networks. The bigger networks will get more of it but to be fair, I would say only with proportion to their size.

As codemastr said, only way to fix the problem is to find a new place to chat. You might find a place less prone to advertising, but nowhere is 100% immune.

Link Copied to Clipboard