Print Thread
#233770 10/09/11 04:00 AM
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I was concerned on why i was running out of hdd space on my VM, come to find out, here mIRC's been logging every status window... and only status windows... my loggings been off since day 1, even in alt+o > IRC > Logging, its been set to automatically log NONE since the first time I installed mIRC, I always check this because I hate to waste HDD space on logs.

Is there some other logging option I missed somewhere in mIRC config? how do I stop these logs?

Talon #233771 10/09/11 04:05 AM
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
FIX: I deleted the logs, closed all the status windows until 1 remained, right clicked it in the treebar, went to logging, hit off... restarted mIRC, now every /server -m opens NON-LOGGED status windows... Kinda messed up how config for auto-log NONE had no effect on this.. prolly since loggings automatic from the get-go on install so statuses were already being logged? I dunno, either way, I think I found a fix, and my HDD is loving me for it... when you've idled across 16+ networks daily your logs tend to get pretty freakin huge.

Talon #233772 10/09/11 04:29 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
mIRC doesn't log status windows by default, so you must have manually checked the "Logging -> On" menu item for the various server windows, or a script ran something like /scid -a /log on "Status Window".

FYI, the auto-log setting in Logging has nothing to do with status windows (since mIRC doesn't log them by default). As you can see, that setting only enables auto logging for channels or privmsg windows. Status windows can only be enabled manually through a method described above, and can therefore only be disabled by said method. This is expected behaviour.

For future reference, rather than manually right clicking each window, you can disable them all in one go in a similar manner to the code snippet posted above: /scid -a /log off "Status Window". Also, if you're unsure if something is a bug or just a hidden configuration setting, please don't pre-emptively post a bug report. There is a support forum for these kinds of questions, and if it turns out to be a bug, it can easily be moved.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #233775 10/09/11 08:53 AM
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
as for your thought up cases... no and no. I've never enabled any kind of logging, always disabled, and no a script couldn't have done it, I don't have a single script that isn't my own so somehow somewhere some way logging managed to sneak its way on in 7.19 which is the ONLY version I've ever had this issue with, so to me, it IS a bug. I suppose with some serious luck that the accidental case *could* be possible but I almost never right click anything, especially outside of a chan/query. I've asked other people who also chose not to log who report the same thing, a BUNCH of status.something log files in $logdir so i'm not the only one, I asked before I "pre-emptively posted". That'd be quite a coincidence for several people to wind up having the same issue.

Talon #233799 12/09/11 01:50 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Maybe you should tell those users to report their issues, because as it stands, you're the first person to make such a claim, and I cannot reproduce this. I haven't seen anyone else chime in either. Reporting a bug is usually more effective when the actual bug is consistently reproducible across multiple machines. Certainly you aren't actually saying: "this bug causes my user settings to randomly change at some arbitrary time without any user intervention". That's far beyond unlikely. Software does not randomly mutate on its own, unless there is some data/program corruption involved, which would be specific to your machine. The far more likely scenario is that you had enabled logging in the status window somehow, either knowingly or unknowingly, which, by the way, is possible (Alt+Down+L+Right+O is not *that* hard a key combination to accidentally hit). It's still far more plausible that a handful of users did the same.

Further proof is that you claimed that you went to the status window menu and saw that Logging was set ON-- which can only be done if changed via the two methods I listed above (or set directly in mirc.ini). Unless cosmic radiation managed to flip your PC register to the location of the logging function and enabled it, there is no other control flow path I know of that would cause mIRC to accidentally toggle the logging setting for status windows. If it *was* a bug, it would be far more likely that the logging setting would still have been set to off.

Finally, note that the last change to logging was in 7.15 (as per versions.txt). You said you never had this issue until 7.19-- were you using 7.17? If so, this would reinforce my point. The unlikelihood I described is even further compounded for code that hadn't even been touched between the time you said it was working and the time you had your problem. Note that the change in 7.15 wasn't even specific to log settings, just loosely around log functions. Logging settings were only last touched directly in 6.33... though admittedly it's always the indirect changes that cause many bugs, the bulk of which were between 7.0 to 7.11. Basically, if you used 7.11->7.19, you should have the same logging behaviour throughout.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #241443 22/04/13 11:40 AM
M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M
First of all, my apologies for a bit of thread necromancy, but I have just run into the same thing described here, and this thread is the only thing that popped up on Google about the same issue.

Until last night I was running 6.2, then I upgraded to 7.29 and suddenly my status windows were being logged. I've been using mIRC since at least 1998, and I have never logged a single status window ever, until now. This is not an isolated incident either, as I've checked and found that my mIRC installations on 4 different systems which I upgraded to 7.29 from 6.2 just last night all have begun logging status windows. So perhaps there's some kind of misreading of older versioned ini files that triggers this behavior in newer versions.

EDIT: Found it. A 6.2 mirc.ini file that has never logged status windows lacks a section named [logging]. Once you specify not to log status windows in 7.29, it appears along with the switch 'status=off'. I'm guessing that when older versions do not see this specific setting they do not log by default, but newer versions do log when there is nothing specified.

Last edited by mrkorb; 22/04/13 12:06 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You will run into various things like that when upgrading... especially from such an old version. Khaled does well to keep changes from causing people headaches when new versions come out, but if you add new features and make improvements, there are going to be times when those changes affect users who upgrade. In most cases, it's only a minor inconvenience that can easily be remedied as you've seen with that one. Thank you for posting the answer for others.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your comments. In the next version, I will be adding an option to the logging dialog that allows you to enable/disable automatic logging for status windows, to make it more obvious. I used to receive emails from users asking where they could find logging details that usually only appear in status log files - this is why newer versions of mIRC enable logging for all windows by default.

Link Copied to Clipboard