mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#241394 18/04/13 02:22 AM
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
This has to be manually enabled in Windows via the registry, but once enabled, Unicode characters can be manually typed in via Alt+ similar to how you enter in ASCII symbols via Alt+keypadNumbers

For this explanation, when I mention simultaneous keys, I'll use (plus) and + for the actual numberpad key. Unicode input is done by Alt(plus)+3C3 which gives σ

Normally, and it does in mIRC's case, this interferes with Alt+ shortcuts. I wanted to check this in Notepad... and Notepad is actually "Alt+" friendly.. it disables Alt+ shortcuts after entering Alt(plus)+ so then the sequence can be fully entered without shortcut interruption.

Is this feasible in mIRC?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
It can be done yes, and it's a good idea to prevent this from happening.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It's not "manually enabled via registry", it's a standard behaviour of Rich Edit Controls, of which the editbox is one:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...t_shortcut_keys

Notepad doesn't "disable" anything. It's not *trying* to be "Alt+ friendly". It just doesn't use richedit. If it did, these features would be enabled as they are in every richedit textbox in your entire operating system.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
Just as suggested, it depends on which 'box' or input you click into. A basic Text input box will not natively support unicode key input unless it is 'overridden'.

A Richedit input box supports a bit more to support a more WYSIWYG interface. So the designers decided to support unicode manual input characters.

Great observation and hope you understand.

Oh, and I am unsure exactly what mIRC uses for the text input box, so I cannot answer that question. Maybe argv0 can answer if it is an overridden class of a textbox, a textbox, or some form of richedit class.

Last edited by extremity; 18/04/13 06:03 AM.
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Ahh.. the link for the RichEdit library clears it all up. I checked earlier, with Alt-X, and got no convert.. so didn't know RichEdit conversion worked, or that mirc's input box was RichEdit. The library document showed Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F12 as an alternative for Alt-X, which did work. Thanks for the info.

The use of Alt+(+)HEXVALUE didn't work until that one specific key was added to the registry, for me. But interestingly enough in notepad, Alt+3f3 would would pull down File when you get to F in the key sequence. The Alt+(+)3f3 sequence would not.. but it would churn out the Unicode character associated with 3f3.

Link Copied to Clipboard