mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#240303 19/01/13 07:10 PM
H
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
Using Ctrl-U for underlining produces what loooks like a tab/extra spaces without indication that an underline code is there. However, pressing <enter> makes everything okay, and the underline is there. This is extremely minor issue, but may confuse some newbies who are hesitant to experiment.

mIRC 7.51, 64-bit Win-7/SP1 Home Premium
IRC Operator irc.Prison.NET
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This has been brought up many times. It depends on what font you are using. Different fonts display the control codes differently. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way around that. There may be a change at some point that will resolve that, but it will probably be quite a while before it happens because of the difficulty in finding an option that works correctly. You will also notice this with Ctrl-I in some fonts, where it appears to put a TAB (multiple spaces) where the Ctrl-I is. Unless mIRC goes to a WYSIWYG script editor and command/edit line or uses an image for the control codes, I don't really expect to see it change.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
The problem is that this has never happened to me before and I have been using mIRC since v.5.31. It definitely wasn't happening in v.7.27. I use Tahoma font. This has also been confirmed for MS Sans Serif. The issue is new for these, notwithstanding that it's a very minor issue.

mIRC 7.51, 64-bit Win-7/SP1 Home Premium
IRC Operator irc.Prison.NET
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
It has always existed, just because you never experienced it doesn't mean it's new: it happens with any version of mIRC.
Those characters are called non printable characters because they are not meant to be displayed, it sure is problematic in this situation because we use those characters but there is probably not much that can be done about it...

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just tested on 6.35 and it shows as a space there. Why it is different for you now than before, I don't know. Different things can have an effect. Sometimes just having a specific font installed can help due to font linking. Maybe you've recently either installed a font or uninstalled a font? Games and apps can install fonts, so this may have happened even if you didn't specifically try to install a font. Other things such as language packs can change what is displayed.

In any case, it's still a font issue because as Wims stated, these are consider "non-printing." That means that there isn't going to be some standard display for those control codes.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard