mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Hi use Google Chrome and would like to know of a way to make mirc automatically open when I click on an irc link. Currently when I click on one nothing happens.

Thank you

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
When you install mIRC and do NOT install it as portable application, then irc:// links should simply work for you.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I know in Firefox you can choose the mirc exe to be used with irc links, so check if there is the option to do that. That even works with my portable install.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Yeah in firefox it works. I have mirc installed as a portable app. Is there any way to make it work with Chrome?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Yes: reinstall mIRC as a NON-PORTABLE app as mentioned.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Is there no way to make it work with the portable one?

U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
Half the point of the portable mode is not to touch the system configuration.

But you might try installing it as non-portable, then (with mIRC not running) move the stuff from %AppData%\mIRC\ to the folder in which you installed it, and change references in mIRC.ini that point to %AppData%\mIRC\ to point to the install folder.  (Note that %AppData% refers to the Application Data folder under your user directory.)

This hack may not have the desired result—or even work at all; i've never tried it.  But it's worth a shot, if you really want the peculiar config. (The alternative is to set up the protocol handler manually in the Windows registry—which i don't know how to do off the top of my head, and don't recommend to the average user, as you can seriously injure your system meddling about in there.)

Irgendwo über dem Regenbogen
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You don't have to edit the mIRC.ini file. Moving stuff from the %appdata%\mIRC folder to the install folder is all that's needed if you want everything stored in the install location.

@OP: As mentioned, portable means don't edit anything on the computer. That means it's not creating or setting up the IRC:// protocol. You would have to do that manually if you don't want to do a normal install. That would mean setting it up in the registry, or if Chrome has somewhere to set it up manually from within Chrome, you can do that as well. I don't know if it does or not.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Ok I reinstalled MIRC as a non-portable version and clicking on an irc link still does nothing. Ideas?

I am using Windows 8.

Last edited by TheOne320; 11/11/12 06:14 PM.
L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
I take it nobody came up with a solution for this?

I do have mIRC installed as non-portable application but I'm unable to get Chrome to open mIRC when selecting an irc:// link.

The issue is I originally declined having mIRC open irc links and now I would like it to open those links.

I have been trying to research this before coming here. I've tried the advice of deleting the entry in one of Chrome's settings files where it said 'true' or 'false'. It just rewrites it's previous setting. I tried setting it as false, still nothing.

I've also reinstalled mIRC and still nothing.

There's also been other proposed solutions using some javascript command to set protocol handling and still nothing.

I looked through the registry to see if there's some settings there and I wasn't able to find anything.

So, if anyone has some knowledge on this I'd really like to hear something on it.

I'm going to keep researching this though even after this post. This is a challenge and I can't seem to turn down a challenge.

Edit:
Ok, I didn't give up and I was able to finally get Chrome to ask me again if I wanted mIRC to open irc:// links. This is what I had to do:
1. Uninstalled Google Chrome
2. Deleted all Chrome directories and files in:
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Google\
3. Deleted all registry entries dealing with Google Chrome (If you don't know your way around the registry then don't go there.)
4. Re-installed Google Chrome from scratch.
5. Ran Google Chrome and then closed it.
6. Re-installed mIRC (didn't have to uninstall it).
7. Ran Google Chrome and found an irc:// link and clicked it.

I 'think' that was all. When I clicked on a irc:// link Chrome asked me if I wanted mIRC to open those links. When I clicked on an irc:// link mIRC went to open the network and channel in the link parameters.

I know it sounds like a lot but that's the only thing I could do that worked.

Last edited by Lloyd_B; 18/04/15 03:32 PM.

Lloyd

Link Copied to Clipboard