mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
Whenever I try to update mIRC the bar will say it's searching and the bar will keep searching but it will never find the update, eventually the bar will just disappear but no update will ever be found, what do I do?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are using anti-virus software that incorrectly thinks that mIRC is a trojan/virus, it may block mIRC from checking the mIRC website to see if there is an update. This type of issue usually happens when an anti-virus software company updates their virus definition files without checking them properly. Which anti-virus software are you using? If you disable it and then try the update again, does that work?

E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
I'm using Avast and it's been like that for awhile, let me try disabling it.

Even with Anti-Virus disabled it still happens.

Last edited by EmoHobo; 30/01/12 10:07 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Do you have windows firewall enabled? try disable that and see if it working..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
Yes, I have it disabled, still no luck.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What version of mIRC are you on?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
7.22 is the latest version (at the time of my post), so the update feature is returning the "No updates" seems perfectly logical.

E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
It doesn't give that error though, it just keeps searching forever.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You are contradicting your initial post:

Originally Posted By: EmoHobo
eventually the bar will just disappear but no update will ever be found

That doesn't sound like "forever" to me.

The above is expected behaviour. It might take a long time, but it should eventually disappear with no update. Because there is no update.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
The word no update never appears, it did this in an old version also, I manually updated it because I was having this issue even with the old version.

The bar goes away but nothing ever appears, it just sits there until I cancel it out. I've left it alone for an hour before with no luck.

I'm sorry, I think I didn't give enough details in my original post, which is leading to this confusion now, no matter what I do it will never change from "mIRC is now checking for updates" eventually the bar will disappear, but not the dialog box and nothing further will happen from there, even in the older version before I manually updated. I hope that clears up the issue, I probably should of used more precise language.

Last edited by EmoHobo; 31/01/12 09:26 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The only reason that I am aware of for this type of issue is anti-virus or firewall software blocking mIRC from checking the mIRC website for the latest version. Some anti-virus or firewall applications continue to work to some degree in the background, even when you disable them, so that may be a factor. Other than that, I cannot think of any other causes. If you figure it out, please let us know.

E
EmoHobo Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
If I find a way around it, I'll let you know. I'll just have to manually check for updates, which I don't mind doing at all.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Not willing to bump this thread but I had the same problem. Was running mIRC v7.19 until the conversation came up about which mIRC version everyone was running. So I tried to use the update function but it kept running without finding any result. After a few minutes I gave up and just updated manually.

Active mIRC user since 1998

Link Copied to Clipboard