mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#2389 18/12/02 04:01 AM
C
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
C
I know you don't want to create a non-windows version of mIRC but if you could give the source code (or at least a part of it) I'm sure someone else would be happy to make a linux or other version of mIRC.

#2390 18/12/02 04:13 AM
Babel fish
Babel fish
I believe it stats in the F.A.Q. open source isn't going to happen except for maybe when Khaled is done ... or maybe that's on Khaled's website, I don't remember.

- Linux System Administrator, Darktides Communications, LLC.
#2391 18/12/02 10:18 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
We can always hope can't we? :P

#2392 19/12/02 02:07 AM
T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
A programer know Windows is a platform appart. mIRC must be using a lot of API calls which are not portable to Linux and other Unixes (x-window or other), nor Mac.

Each GUI is distinct in working and coding from other GUI platforms. No compatibility. Unless your program was thought of to be portable from the beginning.

Releasing mIRC as open source would be nice, but wouldn't allow it to work outside Windows.

Why do you insist to user mIRC on other OSes? There are already IRC clients on all platforms I know of. If you are not satisfied from them, modify them (some are GPL). Or start a new one from scratch with portability in mind.

#2393 20/12/02 11:42 AM
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Yeah you would be better off bugging the Wine team... wink

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
#2394 22/12/02 05:07 PM
G
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
G
Quote:
A programer know Windows is a platform appart. mIRC must be using a lot of API calls which are not portable to Linux and other Unixes (x-window or other), nor Mac.

Each GUI is distinct in working and coding from other GUI platforms. No compatibility. Unless your program was thought of to be portable from the beginning.

Releasing mIRC as open source would be nice, but wouldn't allow it to work outside Windows.

Why do you insist to user mIRC on other OSes? There are already IRC clients on all platforms I know of. If you are not satisfied from them, modify them (some are GPL). Or start a new one from scratch with portability in mind.

well, i know this isn't true... there HAS to be a way. reason being, mirc works just fine with wine emulator for linux. the only problem is that you cannot make scripts that are over like 6 characters long, lol.

i would love to second the first guy's request, not because it's just an irc client. yea, of course... if i wanted to get an irc client for linux, no problem. i could just get x-chat and i'd be happy. but that isnt nearly as good as mirc. you can only manage about 6 channels in x-chat at once, and it's very hard to use the little scroll buttons. i found the gui initimdating and inaccurate, and the nick complete feature when you hit tab is no where near as good as mirc's.... because it will not fill out the nick unless you have enough characters to fill out an entire nickname. on small channels thats fine, but anything over 30 users and it can get to be a pain in the arse.

enough ragging on them though, the real reason why i personally would love this is because i know mirc scripting, and i know it well. to be quite honest with you, it's the only scripting language i've ever picked up on. because of this, it was very painful being on linux... mirc would have made the difference, beleive me.

#2395 21/10/03 09:20 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
I would like to see this to happen for mirc.
look at hydrairc and its open source to allow developers and uses to fix bugs or develop plugins for hydrairc.

I would like source code of mirc 6.03 because I love that version so much myself.

Link Copied to Clipboard