mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#238791 27/08/12 11:09 PM
Maelish Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
So I have been experimenting with upnp on mirc 7.25 on a windows 7 machine. I have confirmed upnp is working normally by using the microsoft upnp test web page.

I cannot confirm through router logs or otherwise that upnp is working for mirc though.

/localinfo -p returns an error

Is anyone else getting upnp to work correctly?

Find Gamers, my player finder for tabletop RPGers and Wargamers.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What error does it return?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I also have that problem, the error returned is "* /localinfo: unable to resolve local host" for me.
I can confirm that upnp is working too though with /socklisten -p or dcc for example

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Same here, "* /localinfo: unable to resolve local host"

Nothing...
Maelish Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Sorry for the long response wait, I'd had to run out of state on an emergency trip and only got back.

I am getting the same error as the other guys above. Do we have any ideas?

Last edited by Maelish; 05/09/12 07:37 PM.

Maelish Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
So upnp isn't working, does anybody have a solution?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have just tested this on a Windows 7 64bit machine and /localhost -p returns the correct local host and IP address. If you are using a security/anti-virus/firewall application, try disabling it first, then disable and re-enable your internet connection. That may resolve the issue.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I just tried it on window xp 32bits, with no anti-virus software and no firewall running, I still get the same message

Wims #238975 14/09/12 06:27 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I also tested it on Windows XP 32bit, fully updated, and it worked fine. You will need to make sure that you have UPnP installed in Windows, SSDP and UPnP services enabled, UPnP enabled on the router, and so on. If it does not work, this usually indicates that something is not configured correctly. You may want to try the PortForward tool, which is what I use to ensure that UPnP is configured and working correctly.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I did say in my first post that upnp is working since /socklisten -p and/or dccs are working correctly.
Unless it's possible for /socklisten -p to work and still have some misconfigured upnp settings that could cause /localinfo -p to fail, I think that everything is set up correctly (this is true for either winXP or win7 pro 64bits).
I asked people around me, I couldn't find anyone who can get this to work.
I tried the Portforward tool, the only thing it does is showing the ports forwarded, either manually or the one(s) opened with upnp, there is also this button "more informations about this device" which shows some informations, I can provide them if needed.
I confirm that the two services are enabled and that upnp is enabled on the router.

Last edited by Wims; 14/09/12 10:33 AM.

Wims #238977 14/09/12 02:00 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this issue here. I have tested under Windows XP and 7 with both a LinkSys and a NetGear router and mIRC returns the correct results in all cases.

It is not clear whether the user reporting this issue is not able to get any UPnP features at all to work in mIRC or whether their issue is limited to /localinfo.

If you enable all of the UPnP options in the mIRC Options/Connect/Options/Port dialog and then enable Identd (turn off "enable only when connecting") and then use PortForward to check the UPnP settings on the router, does port 113 appear in the UPnP ports list? Is your External IP (as displayed by PortForward) correct?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
If you enable all of the UPnP options in the mIRC Options/Connect/Options/Port dialog and then enable Identd (turn off "enable only when connecting") and then use PortForward to check the UPnP settings on the router, does port 113 appear in the UPnP ports list? Is your External IP (as displayed by PortForward) correct?
No, the port 113 doesn't appear in the list, and I even tried rebooting mIRC.
Yes the external IP displayed is correct.
Note that I tried to /socklisten -p test 8002 right after, and it correctly appeared in the list.

This is on win7 pro 64bits, the test on winXP was wrong, the router used doesn't have upnp.

Last edited by Wims; 15/09/12 08:27 AM.

Wims #238986 15/09/12 12:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
No, the port 113 doesn't appear in the list, and I even tried rebooting mIRC.

Did you turn off "enable only when connecting" in the Identd dialog? If you run a program like TcpView does it show that mIRC is listening on identd port 113?

Quote:
Note that I tried to /socklisten -p test 8002 right after, and it correctly appeared in the list.

That is very odd - /socklisten uses the same method as identd.

Quote:
Yes the external IP displayed is correct.

When you say it is correct, do you mean the "External IP" displayed in the left hand column for an entry in PortForward? Ideally, you will need to confirm this for the port 113 that mIRC creates, however since you are not seeing port 113 in PortForward, something else seems to be going on.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
Did you turn off "enable only when connecting" in the Identd dialog? If you run a program like TcpView does it show that mIRC is listening on identd port 113?
Yes, that option was already disabled. Here is a screenshot from the TcpView program:

which doesn't show that the port 113 is used by mIRC (or by any others program, I checked) but using /run cmd /k netstat -a, it shows that the port 113 is listened:
Code:
Active Connections

Proto     Local Address        Foreign Address       State
TCP       0.0.0.0:113          Wims-PC:0             LISTENING

Quote:
When you say it is correct, do you mean the "External IP" displayed in the left hand column for an entry in PortForward?
Yeah.

Wims #238988 15/09/12 01:55 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The identd port is being identified as "auth" by TcpView, so that looks fine. mIRC is creating both an IPv4 and IPv6 port for identd. So the issue now is why port 113 is not appearing in your router UPnP list. Do you have port 113 set up for port forwaring in your router? That may be interfering with UPnP. Since /socklisten -p is working, I cannot think of another reason why identd would not work in this case, other than router or windows configuration.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I don't have the port 113 forwarded in my router.
Investigating a bit:
-the identd server feature isn't working, even if I change the port number, I don't use that feature but I'm almost certain it worked in the past, perhaps in a different (recent, 7.2x) version of mIRC.
-typing /socklisten -p test 8002, the 'upnp port forwarded' program automatically detect the change whereas is doesn't find anything when using the identd server feature, so there seems to be a difference in how the identd server feature handles upnp, compared to /socklisten -p.
The problem seems to be ipv6 related, that's the only difference there is betweeen /socklisten -p and identd, enabling the identd server results in this in netstat:
Code:
Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
TCP    0.0.0.0:113            Wims-PC:0              LISTENING
TCP    [::]:113               Wims-PC:0              LISTENING

When using /socklisten -p, obviously the ipv6 line ([::]:113) doesn't appear.

Last edited by Wims; 15/09/12 02:59 PM.

Wims #239009 17/09/12 07:10 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The IPv6 is not a problem, that is by design. There have not been any changes to UPnP support in recent versions, other than a minor change in v7.12 relating to how UPnP sockets are closed. Was the UPnP identd feature working for you in mIRC v7.1?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I don't really know/remember if it was working at all, I just have a feeling I tested it for some reason and it worked.
I downloaded a copy of mIRC 7.1 from mirc.net and it's not working. But note that the router was a different one at that time so it might be a router, but it's very very unlikely.

Wims #239013 17/09/12 08:39 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this issue at all. I have just tested it on three other computers, using XP and 7, using both of my routers, over a wireless and cable connection, and it worked fine in all cases. My guess is that it is an mIRC/windows/router configuration issue at your end.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I'm not using any special setting on windows, and I'm using the settings you me to use in mIRC, the router only have a checkbox 'enable upnp', and I turned off its firewall, the really odd thing is that upnp does work for socket and dcc. I do remember that, when I tried /localinfo -p with my old router, mirc was freezing for ~7 seconds before displaying the error message.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard