mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I have been using mirc for 14 years. Over the span of those years and the many different versions I've upgraded to, Ive collected many addons and snippets on my pc...

There is one feature I always wanted.

I'd like to be able to Preview a script I have on file in my pc within the mirc client itself, before adding it. ( sometimes I just cannot remember what the script does buy the title I gave it or for what version it was made for )

I realize I can always open a script in note-pad to see if its the one I wish to load, But wouldnt it be grand if I could preview it in a mirc window and then choose a " ADD to new remote" or " ADD new alias" button.

It would seem to me that saving time going back and forth from notepad to mirc would make my mirc experience better.

You could add a preview icon next to the remote editor icon or even within the remote editor itself. Load the script to view its contents, then choose ADD to new remote, ADD to Alias...etc etc. Also have a DO not ADD ( which will replace it back in the file so you can choose another to view)

anyway...

just another suggestion

Addition: Adding a delete function to the preview box would also make it possible to preview old scripts and delete them without having to add them into remotes to see if they are ones to keep or get rid of.

Last edited by DeeperStill; 01/08/12 09:41 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You could script this quite easily with a dialog. Or you could, you know, just, /run path\to\myscript.mrc and then /load it if you like it.

I don't see how previewing in mIRC would be any different to the above.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I should add two important notes:

1. Using the Remote Script Editor, you can File -> Load the script into place. Loading in the script editor does not immediately execute the script, so you can already preview a script in this manner-- if you don't like the contents, unload. If you do, you don't have to do anything.

2. For those technical enough to even understand what is in a script, using notepad to view the file and then /load or File -> Load in the script editor to load the script is not such a leap. For those not technical enough, previewing won't make a difference. Making a "newbie friendly" UI for previewing scripts won't really benefit the right people.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Also, if you don't remember what a script is for by the name, then it would be a good idea to put a comment at the top of each script that says what it is.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: argv0
1. Using the Remote Script Editor, you can File -> Load the script into place. Loading in the script editor does not immediately execute the script, so you can already preview a script in this manner-- if you don't like the contents, unload. If you do, you don't have to do anything.

You know, I thought this was true too, but I tested it yesterday after initially seeing this thread, and we're both wrong.

When you first load a script from the script editor, the ON LOAD and ON START events will not immediately execute until you press OK and then OK on the prompt that appears. However, everything else in the script is immediately active. For example, an ON TEXT event can trigger immediately after loading the script file in the editor and before selecting OK. So, you can't use this safely as a means to preview a script.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: drum
When you first load a script from the script editor, the ON LOAD and ON START events will not immediately execute until you press OK and then OK on the prompt that appears. However, everything else in the script is immediately active.

Fair enough. Point #2 still stands, as does writing a script if you want to make it easier.

Also, point #3: just name your script files appropriately, and you won't even have to look inside to figure out what they are.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Then consider this, If I can go into my pc without loading up mirc, and click on a .mrc script to view its contents so that I can choose to delete it or keep it on my system, I'd save the trouble of having to load up mirc, load the script, unload the script, go to my system and find the script and then delete it .

A .mrc script viewer outside of loading up mirc, would sure be nice. Script it using a form of notepad with a "send to trash" button.

find file> left click to highlight, right click to dropdown, in drop down choose "view mrc", "delete" or "cancel".

all without loading mirc

am I nuts?

a mirc file viewer.

crazy

The point is to get it off my system without having to load each .mrc file into the script editor so I can decide to delete it. Its too much trouble going back and forth in mirc and out of mirc to take care of hundreds of .mrc files that I cannot open unless I open them in mirc to see what they are or if they are being used or not.

ah well, maybe I am nuts but I do believe that need is the mother of invention.

DS

Last edited by DeeperStill; 09/08/12 08:47 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There are hundreds of programs that let you preview text files. All of them would also let you delete files. Notepad++ can do this, for instance. I'm sure there are others. Just google "Windows preview text file".

FYI Windows 7's Explorer does this too if you just toggle the .mrc/.ini extensions as "previewable" (explained here) and toggle the preview pane.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As mentioned, any text viewer can view .mrc files, so there really isn't any need for more to do what you want. If you don't want to download a different program, Notepad or Wordpad come with Windows and both would work fine for looking at a file and you can easily right click the file to open or delete the file.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard