mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Tuco Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
Hi, I've been using DALnet for over a year now on mIRC...
And tonight I've been getting troubles connecting to evey DALnet server and I keep getting the message:

Network-Banned for [AKILL ID:1052603891K-a] [ma/web] Web Site or Server Advertising is not allowed on DALnet. If you continue, we'll notify your web provider and ISP. See http://kline.dal.net/massads/mup.htm (2003/05/10 23.58)

I own the channel of [deleted]
And the only times I can remember inviting anyone was the ca. 10 times I've invited people to the channels [deleted by moderator], and the one time I wrote it in the channel [deleted], I've not been kicked from a channel ONE time for spamming...
Though still I am kicked out, even though I never got any warning of this at all...
Is this fair, is it my fault, or what actually happened here, can anybody help me???

I use my website for sharing pictures,[url deleted], though I don't pm people asking them to visit this page, I only give them this for chat...
Is it not allowed to use websites for pictures, instead of sending with DCC???

Last edited by ParaBrat; 11/05/03 09:56 AM.
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
DALnet Definition of Unsolicited/Mass Advertising.
  • Messaging users to join channels, visit web sites, go to other IRC networks, etc.
  • /invite -ing users to channels.
  • On-join messaging of users to join channels, visit web sites, or go to other IRC networks, also know as "autogreet".
  • Excessive use of /quit messages to advertise channels, web sites, IRC servers, scripts, etc.
  • Use of IRC commands such as CTCP to advertise or invite.
  • Unsolicited email to network mailing lists, the purpose of said email which is to advertise web sites, software, channels, other IRC networks, etc.

If you did any of those then no you have not been unfairly KLined.

T
Tuco Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
The reason why I've been banned is appearantly this...
Unsolicited email to network mailing lists, the purpose of said email which is to advertise web sites, software, channels, other IRC networks, etc.

But the thing is, that I DID give people my email, and links to my pictures, but NOT at any time for the purpose of advertising...

T
Tuco Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
T
What can I do if I HAVE unfairly banned???

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Well the first thing I'd suggest, is when you talk to DALnet, don't start out saying you've been banned unfairly, be a little more... diplomatic. Just tell them you made a mistake and it won't happen again. What you want to do is send an email to MassAds@dal.net letting them know what happened. Be sure to give them your hostname/IP address, and make sure you include the original ban message (That AKILL-ID part is especially important), with any luck they'll clear up the problem.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It would seem you dont understand what they mean by "advertising". When you put websites/channel names/etc in for no purpose other than to tell ppl in general about them, hoping they will go to them, its considered spam/advertising and mass inviting. If you put them in an email to DALnet mailing lists, you spammed. Telling a FRIEND in PRIVATE about a channel/website is totally different from telling the general public. Just because one channel didnt kick you for mass inviting, doesnt make it right to do so. Many spammed websites infect the users who go there, many downloads they get at websites or from others infect them. Add to that, if there are 30,000 users who all mass invite and spam, no one would be able to type a word in the midst of all that. Additionally, many ppl think they can get around DALnet's policy against channels specifically for file sharing by spamming websites where ppl can get files. Its hardly surprising that spam is frowned on and you got banned for doing it.

I deleted the url and channel names in your post, because since the names of the channels and the url are irrelevant to the problem, it comes under the heading of spam.

It isnt up to us to decide if any ban is fair or not, that is between the user and the admins of that network.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Hi!
It was my 2nd time at mIRC, ( I`m no "wisegirl" with pc`s) I got banned. . I got kicked out from the network because I had a trojan virus that got me spamming,but the nohacker removed it from me. But I got banned from the network after the nohack removed it, so that couldn`t have been the reason...But I didn`t do anything wrong, I just was in their network looking for someone. It says k-lined when I try to connect (and spamming is not permitted on this network), but there`s no contact address and I have found their page on the internett but there`s no way to get in contact with them. I just think it`s unfair if I have been banned for life when I didn`t do this on purpose. I have never used any bad language or anything. Have I been banned for life? I have been banned for 2 days now. shocked confused

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
There is no way for me to be sure 1: if you completely got rid of the trojan or 2. if the ban was meant for you specifically or was wide enuf to include you. Since i dont know the network involved, i cant advise you who to contact to discuss it, but most networks have that info on their website somewhere or a forum you can post on for help.

Have you run a virus scan like the one at this web page to be sure you got everything? Even if your puter is clean now, you may still have to explain to them what steps you took in order to get the kline removed. How long will it last? Only they can tell you, it could be timed for any length or stay there until someone removes it.

While you say you didnt do this on purpose, realize there is no way to tell how many ppl you infected unknowingly. Isnt it better for the network to safeguard their other users until they know for sure you have cleaned your puter?

N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Hi ParaBat!
I think it`s safe enough to say I don`t have a virus anymore. I have done 4 or more virus scans with different virus/spyware protections. And I have been on channels and haven`t been banned, because I don`t send out spam anylonger. I think it`s ok that I was banned because of the harm I could cause others with infecting them. But now I have secured my pc good enough, so I don`t think I will get it again. The only thing I am unhappy about it that I can`t find anyone to contact on AstroLink. There`s no web-address on my status. And when I searched on Google I found their web-page, but no contact place. I was wondering if you know?
The only thing that stands on my status when I try to connect is what I said before, except from dialing up and finding host name and that stuff. No message of the day, nothing.
Thank you for answering my questions! wink

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I see on their web page that they have "been battling a rather high volume drone attack " for the past 24 hours. They list some (but not all) ip blocks they have banned, check to see if you fall within any of them. also note to check to be sure you have identd enabled (file/options/connect/identd and check that you dont have the port it uses, 113, blocked) Looks like some areas there are under construction, but click on the word STAFF and try to email one of the ppl listed. Dont send an email to every single one of them at once!

N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
laughHi ParaBrat!
Thank you for your help! The only thing I did was to change my user identity, and than I could connect. Quite funny! grin

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
if u look at the server list most servers end with .com so if u ad www. to them addresses u will get there web site [deleted](works wit this one but might not with others u will have to try it and find out )

Last edited by ParaBrat; 28/05/03 09:52 PM.
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ur posting to a resolved issue? how does that possibly help ppl?

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard