mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Hello We have the hottest requests and proposals for the client.

(I beg pardon for my bad English, used an online translator google)

1. Add exclusively for Russian cp1251 encoding in use IRC networks, where there is no connection through the Unicode (utf-8). We have all new versions of mIRC from 7 can not be used and have become unpopular. The last version used is 6.35.
2. Add the ability to use images as background for all types of windows client.
3. Change the window channels and privates in the graphics or html to be able to display them in new formats such as GIF with animation. Suitable for use as an animated smileys on the web chat rooms, it is logical to chat!
4. If the client window will be graphic, then add a number of opportunities to create new types of scripts in these windows.

- If you try to fulfill our request, all the Russian fans mIRC client will carry you in his arms with joy. We have long been dying popularity of this customer just because of the lack of such opportunities in it, and so will have a chance to join the ranks of fans of your client. Saviour in advance.

Last edited by Epic; 16/01/12 08:27 AM.

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
1. Start using UTF-8. The entire world has already adopted Unicode, there is no reason for mIRC to regress to obsolete encodings. Unicode supports just about every single language, including Cyrillic, so it should work perfectly for you already.

2. You can already use images as backgrounds in windows, see /help /background

3. lol @ gif animations. This has been requested many times. FWIW, Unicode also solves this problem with things like Emoji, so yet another reason to ditch your old ANSI encoding.

4. This probably won't happen in your lifetime. If you want this, I hear there's a chat client called Windows Live Messenger that might do what you want.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
It is necessary that it is in mIRC client can be inserted through a script or just a text input field to throw animated pictures, smiles, and write more like this in the web chat can be done. We're talking about new features and functions of the mIRC client here, so I suggest to make a graphical windows to replace those that are in the client.

As for the switch to UTF is difficult, as such we have many ready to use server UnrealIRC, but the new versions without the patch does not support UTF encoding, so many people use cp1251, for Russia it is true, believe it is a request of millions of users, and Russia is very a big country.

Last edited by Epic; 16/01/12 11:24 AM.

🌐 http://forum.epicnet.ru 📜 irc.epicnet.ru 6667 #Code | mIRC scripts, help, discuss, examples
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Emoticons and other images in-line with text has been requested many times as argv0 pointed out. In fact, there is a sticky in this forum regarding it. I am sure it will eventually be added, but is not a priority because there is little real benefit to a chat program other than "eye candy" (making things look "fancy"). I've added my own suggestions on how to implement it in a way that will benefit not only people who want emoticons, but also those who want to do some more interesting themes or other things with mIRC. I'm sure it will be done at some point, but it probably won't be very soon.

Graphical windows? I'm not sure the point of that. mIRC is a text chat program, so there isn't much need for a graphical window for the chatting windows in mIRC. If you need or want a graphical (aka picture) window, that's already available. And you can even use that throughout mIRC, completely replacing the existing channel and query windows if you want. Of course, that requires a LOT of work, but it is entirely possible and some people have done that, I believe.

Switching to UTF doesn't have to be difficult. People just want to make it difficult. If an ircd doesn't support UTF8, then first off, it's probably not a good ircd. And second, the network should seriously consider either replacing it with one that does support UTF-8, or else put some pressure on the ircd developers to add UTF-8 support. If all Russian servers said they were going to stop using a specific ircd because of lack of UTF-8 support, the ircd would have little choice but to update very quickly or they may never recover. The fact is that UTF-8 has been around for a very long time. Code pages have been outdated for a very long time. Major IRC clients all support UTF-8. The only thing holding Russians and others who use code pages back are the networks and any users who refuse to update their client. If someone refuses to update their client, there really isn't much we can do to help them. And if a network won't update to be current, then the network will most likely die away eventually because of it.

If you want a very simple solution, move any channels that you are associated with to a network that supports UTF-8. Moving to a new network is a pain, but I've done it and it really isn't that difficult. As channels start leaving those networks for new ones, the networks will have to update or they won't have many users left.

In the end, it comes down to the user choosing to change. Khaled has said that mIRC will no longer support code pages and he's sticking to that and that's a good thing. Supporting really old and outdated things doesn't make a program better.

And if you look around, someone has probably scripted a code page to UTF-8 conversion script that you could use if you found it. Maybe not, but it's worth checking into if you need it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
and can even make mIRC 6.35 with support for windows-7? and then reset all the scripts in a day of work.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC 6.35 and Windows 7 are already compatible. The only thing it can't do in Windows 7 is show a correct $os reply simply because it didn't know about Windows 7 when it was released. If you have a stat script that displays the OS, you can still obtain the correct OS by using COM instead of $os. Not very hard to do. And other than that, it's fully compatible with Windows 7.

It's not like UTF-8 is new. It's been out for around 10 years. People have had all that time to update. Because they didn't already do so, it is now biting them. Procrastinating doesn't make it someone else's fault.

As for scripts, you will always have scripts that break when updating to a newer version of mIRC. You either have to ask the script author to fix it, or fix the script yourself, or find someone to do it for you, or else find a different script. In the majority of cases, there aren't many changes necessary to make a script compatible with newer versions of mIRC. And regardless, updating scripts is something that has to be done even without talking about UTF-8. If you're going to use a script that someone else wrote, then you have to understand that it may someday not work with the current version of mIRC. That's just how it goes. That has nothing at all to do with UTF-8. It's a fact of life if you use scripts. And in all honesty, updating scripts is one of the LEAST problems anyone should have when changing to UTF-8.

Keep this in mind. If you refuse to update just because it means that you have to update some scripts, then you are missing out on new features as well as bug fixes and security fixes. Not very smart. There are a lot of people still using old versions of mIRC with known exploits... exploits that can allow other users to do a wide variety of dangerous things to your computer if you didn't update. If they get hacked because they didn't update, it's their own fault for being lazy. There are updates for a reason.

Last edited by Riamus2; 16/01/12 07:34 PM.

Invision Support
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
I installed OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and it flies through the night all the scripts, mIRC polsnostyu is reset to what it can be linked?

As for the smiles I saw, thank you. We will wait for their appearance in your client, they will decorate a communication on IRC. I myself Scripter and I love to write their own scripts. I know what you have written as they do in graphic windows, but it's really very difficult and requires a lot of time .. so that I would like a ready-made version with the addition of smilies already their bags, or what would it be possible to create scripts for easier than now.

Last edited by Epic; 16/01/12 07:44 PM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm not sure of your first question. "flies through the night" doesn't make sense and "polsnostyu" doesn't appear to be translated at all. Can you say that differently?

If by graphic window, all you mean is that you want to have graphics in the line of text (like smilies), then that will probably happen at some point. If you want the windows to act like picture windows where you can draw and have all kinds of graphics anywhere you want, that is very unlikely. Of course, this is just my opinion and Khaled may have a different opinion.

Invision Support
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Any ircd should support UTF-8 since UTF-8 is completely compatible with the IRC protocol. The only way the ircd would be incompatible with UTF-8 is if it went out of its way to do stupid things like re-encode your text into cp1251 without asking. AFAIK, the Russian networks I've been to have had server-side settings for this transcoding and it can be turned off, so it's not actually a problem.

The problems with the ircd "not" supporting UTF-8 that you are likely referring to are not to do with the ircd, but rather with the way users are naming channels on the network. This is not an ircd issue but rather a problem with any scenario where clients using different encodings try to communicate with each other. Because the IRC protocol specifically does not enforce any transcoding, all data is treated as binary bytes, and because of this, a utf-8 encoded channel name won't match up with a cp1251 encoded one. This isn't an mIRC specific problem. The only way to solve this problem in a consistent fashion across all IRC clients is for the ircd to become aware of the client encoding and transcode all data in and out. If your desire for change was pointed in the direction of ircd maintainers rather than IRC clients, this problem would be solved a lot more quickly-- especially since updating servers to be encoding aware would make encoding problems disappear for every client, not just mIRC-- and it would require no users to change their client software. This is a much more effective solution than petitioning every single IRC client to support old encoding formats.

I should point out that most IRC clients in existence right now handle UTF-8-- the vast majority of them actually deal only in UTF-8. So really, the only problem here is users who are refusing to upgrade to latest technology. You'll find that if you stop fighting against the change and upgrade (and tell your friends), the problem will magically go away. Adding support for cp1251 into a new mIRC would just prolong the inevitable.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Epic Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Yes, I mean this is the window to mIRC was graphic. I have shown above screenshot, where I portrayed in my beta client script, you can see that you can insert rows into an animated smile. If this is a text entry field are written symbols, and in the channel window is already displayed picture. In the screenshot it shows.
I would like to continue not to write a complex script, and that would smilies GIF could themselves be displayed in the windows of MIRC, just like in ICQ. Write text and insert a smiley line between the receiver and saw the same thing.

As for the encoding you're right. We have difficulty displaying a nickname and channel in the Cyrillic alphabet.

Prompt and a command you can insert a picture in nicklist?
And tell me what command in the graphic window, you can transfer text to the next line if it does not fit on one line? and as they do scroll? that the text could wind up and down in the graphics window mIRC.

Last edited by Epic; 17/01/12 03:46 AM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The first part is likely to happen at some point... at least with images. Animated GIFs may never happen, though. In general, animated GIFs are disappearing as people have gotten tired of them. Again, that's up to Khaled and I'm just guessing.

Nicks and channel names should show fine in Cyrillic on any UTF-8 enabled ircd as long as the network allows you to have UTF-8 characters. Some have rules in place that you can only use ASCII characters for channel and nick names. This is mainly because it's far easier for people to type those characters if they are from a different country.

To insert images in the nicklist, you'd need a DLL. nicklust.dll lets you do a lot with the nicklist, and I believe it lets you add images. I haven't used it before, but you can search for it and see what it allows you to do.

To wrap text to the next line, you need to manually do that in a picture window. Check window width (or use a fixed width) and only display as many characters as will fit in that width. To "scroll", /drawcopy is probably the easiest way. To bring text back on the screen after it's scrolled off, you'd need to track the text in a custom "buffer" and re-display it with your script. As I mentioned, this is a lot of work, but it is possible. I wrote a Telnet script in a picture window that scrolls up (it doesn't scroll down because I didn't need that) and it works really well. Of course, if you try displaying a LOT of information all at once, it can lag the script. But for a typical channel, that won't be a problem. You just wouldn't want to join a channel with hundreds of people all talking at once.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard