mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
samten Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
In this day and age with so many choices out there for communication (Facebook, twitter, texting, and all the other "newer" ways), myself and a group of friends have come to realize that, although this new technology is quite appealing and addicting, it all lacks a certain feel...

We can't quite put our finger on it. Is it mIRC's ease of use? The nostalgia of the experience? The "vintage" feel? The no nonsense / no in-your-face "bling" of the newer choices?

Regardless of the reasons, we have decided to return to Internet Relay Chat. There is some irony in the fact that, yes, we all did pay our $20.00 at one time or another to use mIRC...but obviously the joke is that it's more than worth it. We'd rather pay to use mIRC then continue using free services that have taken over (see the list above). It just goes to show that IRC, for a lot of people, is still a more reliable and enjoyable experience - all thanks to the mIRC program itself.

Our goal is to educate some of the "younger" folks on our friends/followers lists on what exactly IRC is, and hopefully ignite a little interest in checking it out for themselves. We're not trying to get IRC back on top, but we'd really like some of the youngsters to at least know what it's all about and give them a choice. At least for me, I plan on significantly reducing and ultimately achieving my goal of completely eradicating all of my social network accounts when the "Awaken to IRC" preaching is complete wink

Just felt the need to share this with everyone. Happy chatting, all!

- samten

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
As the 'Founder' on one of the many '#mIRC' help channels on the different networks, Let me take time to say thanks for your comments. Its comments like this that give all of us (Including Khaled, I am sure) the will to continue to help users with this fine product.

Best of the season, and in the coming year.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
pball likes this.

err wait wrong place, lol. though I definitely agree irc has it's own appeal. I've been using it for 6 years and I plan on using it until no one I talk with is around, which won't be any time soon.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
my CONSTANT thought about mirc is:

Man, if only facebook chat worked like MIRC!!!

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
For all the people that come in here complaining that IRC (and mIRC) needs to be more like Facebook in order to "survive", it's nice to see people praising IRC (and mIRC) for what it is. You often hear the dissenting voices, but every now and then, it's certainly a nice holiday gift to hear people who are HAPPY with mIRC and their IRC experience. Thanks!

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Bring back Comic Chat!

What's neat is a good number of these alter chat services are really just IRC in disguise. You can often find the server address and connect directly through mIRC. Take UStream for instance; Its "network" ranks anywhere between #5 and #7 depending on the day, and few users even know it's IRC.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
for me, mirc has been the best input method I've used....... and I have IM programs for doing other stuff. long Live mIRC!

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
<3 mIRC and IRC

Link Copied to Clipboard