mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
A
Hello,

I would like the ability to group channels into subfolders in the Treebar. One alternative is a multi-column Treebar, which may be more desirable in some cases. Another alternative is merely to collapse or hide inactive windows in a dedicated folder.

Such an option could be specified as a flag in the /window or other command; could be offered via drag and drop; could be made available in the Window > Order dialog; and/or could be an option in the Favorites > Organize Favorites > Edit dialog. (The existing Folder option in the Edit Channel dialog creates groupings in the menu only.) We, being myself and any user of the feature, would need the ability to create and name subfolders, as well as move windows into, between, and out of them. We could preserve existing distinctions between Channel, Query, and Custom windows, or supersede them. Windows could participate in more than one folder in some cases.

One concern is the ability to maintain the existing order of channel windows, which could be waived. Another concern is the highlighting behavior for the window group, as a function of the windows that are in it. We might also want auto-expand and auto-collapse behaviors for some folders, or programmatic transposition of windows between folders. Another concern is the ability to create a 3rd layer of "sub-sub-folders".

What are your thoughts? Would it be popular? Are there examples of usages of mIRC for which it's useless? Which combination of options would be most useful? Is it a fairly major addition, or could we expect it in upcoming versions?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A similar suggestion is just a few posts below yours. I do think there are people who would like this kind of control over grouping windows. However, I don't necessarily think that very many will need or have use of that much control. Just being able to drag/drop the channels into whatever order you want would be enough control for most people and would be much easier to implement. As I mentioned in that other thread, maintaining correct ID/window numbers when you start duplicating windows could be challenging and could cause older scripts to stop working. It may or may not be worth it to deal with that kind of problem just for allowing duplicated windows which most people wouldn't need anyhow. Grouping into folders also seems a bit unnecessary, though I don't think it would be that difficult. Personally, I think manually being able to change the order is useful enough to add, but anything more is probably not worth it.

Regarding when it might be added... I wouldn't ever hope that any suggestion will be added soon. There is usually 1 main release a year or so and perhaps a few bug fix releases if needed in between, so I might hope for it within 2 main releases (i.e. in about 2 years). Of course, there are requests that get added very quickly - either because they are very easy or because Khaled thinks they are very useful. So you have a chance of it being soon, but you shouldn't really expect any results for at least a couple of years. And it's quite often longer.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
You wouldn't need to duplicate the window, just the treebar/ switchbar branch/button.

Link Copied to Clipboard