Print Thread
#233254 26/07/11 03:52 AM
L
lcrzoex Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
L
Two days ago I download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com/get.php and I get mirc719.exe

Today its named cnet_mirc719_exe.exe. wtf? virus? smile

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Seems like cnet decided to start prefixing their downloads... I assume they have a license agreement which allows them to name the exe file download whatever they want

Looks more or less fine to me. You can verify by comparing the md5 hashes (you can get the mirc719.exe file from mirror sites).

Highly unlikely possibility: your DNS was jacked and a really good cnet spoof site is giving you a faked mIRC installer. Again, *very* unlikely.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for letting us know. This must be a recent change since CNET has in the past always distributed the original mIRC installer. I did not receive any communication from CNET regarding this change, so I am just as surprised as you are. I have emailed CNET to find out more and, for the time being, I have removed the link to CNET from the mIRC download page.

T
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
T
What about tucows dot com? Someone - not sure if it's Khaled or another user - has uploaded mIRC 6.16 back in August of 2004.

I have skimmed through the documentation and terms of use on tucown and can not find mention of a 'wrapper' that they add to the software.

Maybe someone else knows something about tucows that I do not, and it is not as good of an option as I figure.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

I have skimmed through the documentation and terms of use on tucown and can not find mention of a 'wrapper' that they add to the software.

Here is the explanation.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard