mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
GYSML Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
Hello. mIRC will still retry to connect even if "Enable connect retry" isn't ticked.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can't reproduce. Disabling retry does not cause mIRC to continue retrying new connections. Are you sure you're not running a script that's doing it?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
G
GYSML Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
Thanks. I'm just running a script in "Remote":
Code:
on 1:START:/server irc.efnet.org -i nickname

That's it.

Last edited by GYSML; 17/08/11 04:22 AM.
G
GYSML Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
I found something interesting today. mIRC wouldn't retry to connect as the settings if my computer just started. After that, I closed mIRC, then opened it again. It retried to connect when I'd got disconnected. It seems the information will store in a temporary file after the first failure, which will be deleted when the computer starts again, and mIRC will retry to conncet anyway as long as the file exists even if "Enable connect retry" isn't ticked.

Last edited by GYSML; 20/08/11 04:02 PM.
G
GYSML Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
I'd unchecked "Reconnect on disconnect" and "Enable connect retry". mIRC would do as the settings above if it ran the first time after my computer started.

If I closed mIRC and opened it again, the settings would be ignored when the connections were disconnected:
Quote:

* Connecting to irc.efnet.org (6667)
-irc.mzima.net- *** Banned Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Open Proxy found on your IP [removed] . Please check your system and fix it. (2011/8/21 20.56)
-
Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (*** Banned )
-
* Disconnected

The followings executed 18 times:
Quote:

-
* Connect retry #1 irc.efnet.org (6667) (dns pool)
Closing Link: [removed] (*** Banned )
-
* Disconnected

It's really strange the information mIRC showed in 18 times of retries were "* Connect retry #1 irc.efnet.org (6667) (dns pool)", not #2, #3...

Last edited by GYSML; 22/08/11 01:21 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The retry # isn't exactly what you expect it to be. There was a discussion a month or two ago regarding that. If you are attempting to connect to multiple servers in a dns pool(*), it counts as a single connection attempt. If you aren't trying to reconnect through a dns pool, then each connection attempt is considered a retry. Basically, the pool is considered a single connection attempt regardless of the number of servers in the pool that are tried. I could be explaining that poorly and maybe someone can clarify if I have something not quite right, but that's the basic idea of it. It might even explain the multiple attempts when retry is disabled. As to whether you can avoid this issue, it may be possible by using IP addresses instead of dns when connecting, but someone else would have to verify that because I'm not positive.

(*) A dns pool is used when a server/network is set up with as round robin.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Yes, this is exactly what is happening here. Basically one "retry" means one connection attempt to each IP address in the DNS pool. This is why each line says it is "retry #1" (it's the first connection attempt to that particular IP address) and why it gives the text "dns pool" at the end of the line. In the case of irc.efnet.org, it has exactly 19 IPv4 addresses assigned to that domain name. This is why you are getting 19 connection attempts (the first one plus the additional 18 you mentioned).

If you connect directly to an IP address or to a domain name that only has a single IP address associated with it, you will not have this problem.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
To clarify "DNS pool" further, so there is no confusion:

A DNS pool is simply a hostname that points to multiple IPs. For example, "irc.foo.com" might point to three IPS: 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.2, and 3.3.3.3. mIRC will try all 3 as a single connection attempt to "irc.foo.com".

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard