Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
You are basically repeating what has been said: yes I could be more precise in my post, it's always possible, not always needed.
Quote:
Whatever you do, never assume someone knows what you are talking about. Explain it in detail. Many times, I have had to ask people to clarify what they are talking about because they assumed I knew what was in their mind. For example, someone could ask me, "Did you fix the problem?" and I may have been dealing with multiple problems and have no idea what one they are talking about. They assume I know because in their mind, they are thinking of the specific problem. But I'm no mind reader and so I need specifics. Or people will bring up something that was discussed an hour or more ago without pointing out that they are talking about that previous discussion. Again, without information, it can leave the listener unsure what you're talking about even though it's perfectly clear to you.
This is precisely why I don't include full details, my suggestion or my bug report must be clear for Khaled, I don't need to assume he knows what I'm talking about.
Now when helping someone on the script & popups section here or on irc, I always include full detail because the person that must understand what I'm saying isn't Khaled and don't have the same knowledge regarding mIRC.

I don't think language is a barrier, I already got bugs fixed years ago, and my english was much worse than that.
I actually spend time when posting here, trying to be as clear as possible.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
argv0 #233055 09/07/11 01:43 PM
J
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Originally Posted By: argv0
Anyway, if $ticks is the same when a new timer fires, your older timer won't fire, possibly causing a race condition

there may be some sort of race condition involved, since this only happens with low delays, but it doesn't seem to be the only problem. $ticks is perhaps a little misleading there; letting mIRC assign a name or using $rand(1, 1000000) instead, and we can see the problem is just as easily reproducible. in fact, giving the timer a constant name is the only case where i didn't observe the bug.

Originally Posted By: argv0
Removing "$+ $ticks" and letting mIRC generate its own timer names seems to work just fine for me.

did you remove 'test' too? :P

to reproduce: remove the complete timer name, make sure there are no timers active, and run the test.

the second step is important, and probably why Wims wasn't able to reproduce the issue after the first trial of the alias: that one timer that failed to execute was still considered active.

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde
Wims #233058 09/07/11 03:14 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Wims
I looked at the two links, I still think both are self-explanatory when you know what it is about.
$dialog().ontop would reflect if -o has been used with /dialog
$timer(wildcard*,N1) would return the Nth timer whose name matches the expression.

This discussion has really gone too far already and you are welcome to take the advice on improving posts or to ignore it. But just to be clear on this one point of yours... if you had said both of those things in your feature requests, then the requests would be much more clear. It's never a bad idea to add more information than necessary (if it's relevant) instead of potentially leaving not enough information.

Also, argv0 and others do ask people to be more clear all the time. He did that here as well, but instead of just saying "What?", he gave some information on HOW to be more clear. Like I said, you can choose to ignore it or you can take the advice and learn from it so you can improve future posts and reduce the confusion and time spent on figuring them out. Complaining about someone giving you advice on improving something doesn't really make much sense.

And just because people aren't constantly replying with "What?" doesn't mean they always understand. A lot of people will see something that doesn't make sense to them and instead of replying, they just ignore the thread entirely figuring someone else who can figure it out will respond. When you have a post that gets no replies for a long time, there's a good chance that's what is happening.

Either way, I'm done replying about this. There's nothing more to offer you if you don't want the suggestions. If you are willing to take the advice, then understand that the advice is there to help you improve and not to criticize you. Take what you can from it and move on rather than arguing about it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Wims #233059 09/07/11 03:19 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the comments everyone, I will be looking into this issue.

Wims #233474 16/08/11 11:21 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks this has been fixed for the next version.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard