mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Is there ANY way to turn this "feature" off? I regularly join several large channels on connect, and this
/Names list of every channel is causing me to disconnect for flooding. I've looked at the help files, and the only thing I can find is DDE Users (which was of no help to me). I have no script loaded that is using the Users (or any other part of DDE) so it has to be a 'feature' of mirc.
(Flood settings have no effect, either)

But then again, what do I know ... I'm NoScRiPtR wink
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
the server automatically sends the names list to you, there is nothing you can do to prevent that other than not joining the channel.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Well, it's not a mIRC featrue, the server send it itself. Without it you wouldn't heve nicklist for channels grin
How about joining less channels or joining them manually? Or.. getting better internet connection?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Post deleted by Collective

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That won't fix anything, mIRC is still going to receive the nicklist, it just won't display it.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I just reread the post, I thought he was pissed off about the names list being shown in status..

Bloody hell you reply fast..

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
"I thought he was pissed off about the names list being shown in status.." um .. that would be an understatement.
As for the server sending this, why is it that 'other' chat clients do not display it in the server window? This is a mIRC-specific "feature" (displaying it in the status window). I just would like to shut it off. Maybe I need to email Khaled (like he's not getting thousands of emails).

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you want to stop it from displaying in your status window, then use the example Collective posted ... oops too late, deleted

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
the problem here is the server, not khaled
i think the server send too much nicks to u and think its a flood. u just getting the /names., u don't flood him.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
When I get disconnected with the message "excess flood" it's flooding me .. server or not.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Try /remote off and then reconnecting, if you don't get flooded off .. it's a script doing it. Like maybe a script doing a /who when you join a channel, or doing /who & /names when you join a channel.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
it's not a script .. I've already tried /remote off and /timers off

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
again, its a bug in the server, u are NOT flooding him u just sending the /names #channel
he floods u with the channels nicks, probably its a bug or something

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
I hate to keep repeating myself, but mirc is the ONLY IRC chat client that displays these names in the status window ... and also the ONLY one that floods me with them.

"u are NOT flooding him" ??? him who?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
It's not a bug at all, the problem is you don't know what an "excess flood" is. It doesn't mean you are flooding the server, it means a command you executed is causing the server to flood you. Therefore it is working exactly as it is designed to work.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
and what command would that be? /join channels?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yes, that would be the command. Just like on some networks if you type /list you get flooded off, or on most networks if you type /who you get flooded off.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
um .. I don't know what an "excess flood" is ...
Evidently you don't know what "excess flood" is.
Excess flood is:

1. Too many messages sent to the server (or channel) in too short a period of time.

2. Too many messages sent from the server to me in too short a period of time.

As I've said before .. I have (and occasionally use) several "other" IRC clients (dIRC, pIRCh, TurboIRC, ViRC, XiRCON, and even *gasp* MSChat). I can connect to the EXACT server, and join the EXACT channels and not get disconnected for "excess flood". I have NO scripts in my mirc 6.03 to cause any flood other than joining channels and getting this /Names list (which NONE of the other clients does). Now tell me once again how I'm an idiot and don't know what "excess flood" is (or some other excuse for you not to have an answer for me). If you don't have anything constructive to say, kindly do not respond as it only wastes my time.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I told you exactly what it is, if you want a more in depth analysis of what it is, it is triggered when your recvq (Receive Queue) becomes filled with excessive amounts of data that are being sent to you as a result of an action taken by you. If you don't like that definition, and you want to tell me I'm wrong, be my guest, but seeing as how I just looked at the source code for several IRCds and they all do exactly what I said, it would be like arguing that 2+2 != 4. It has NOTHING to do with you flooding the server, nothing at all. If you flood the server you will be killed with a Sendq exceeded message, NOT an excess flood message. Again, disagree with me if you want; but you are wrong.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
You have carefully avoided explaining why it is just mIRC that does this, and NONE of the other half dozen clients I use.
Tell me ... is this something the server does to the mIRC client and to NO OTHER? Or is it (as I said in my FIRST post) a "feature" of mIRC that could (and in my opinion SHOULD) be turned off.

Of course I do not expect any honest reply from you, you obviously haven't tried any other IRC clients to see for yourself.

As far as I'm concerned this thread is at an end due to lack of intelligent answers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard