mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#23144 08/05/03 07:35 AM
A
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
i know its not around yet, but 64 bit processors are coming out soon, curious as to whether there are any plans to release a 64-bit version of mIRC when its around? im sure there will be all kinds of funky [censored] we'll be able to do with 64 bit technology =P

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't looking good for you. Tomorrow isn't either grin
#23145 08/05/03 01:34 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
What kind of funky sh*t you think you'd be able to do with 64bits opposed to current 32bits? Probably mIRC will be released in 64bits when most of mIRC users uses 64bit operating systems?

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
#23146 08/05/03 01:57 PM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
I agree. There isn't any need for 64-bit mIRC 32-bit is working fine and working very well. And 64-bit CPUs are very expensive and I don't see why many people are using them.

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc
#23147 08/05/03 02:09 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
hmmmm .. I wonder what would of happened if he (Khaled) had thought the same way about 32 bit .. I personally think it would suck to still be stuck with 16 bit. Just because your current mouse trap works just fine .. doesn't mean there isn't room for a better one.

#23148 08/05/03 02:14 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Which way would 64-bit mIRC be better in current 32bit operating systems?

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
#23149 08/05/03 02:18 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quoting absTrusE: but 64 bit processors are coming out soon

Would you want to be stuck with 32 bit mIRC with your 64 bit OS? I wouldn't.

There's always room for advancement & improvement

#23150 08/05/03 04:42 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
First off let me ask, does anyone here even know what advantages 64bit provides over 32bit? Because from the way you guys are talking, none of you actually do.

Second, what 64-bit OS? WinXP 64-bit edition? Win2003 Server 64-bit edition? Neither of them are for end-user use, they are corporate machines. In fact none of them even support the AMD64 architecture (which is what will be used in home-64-bit machines) they all run only with IA64, IA64 will never make it in the home area because it provides horrible backwards compatibility with 32bit software. Even so, any of you have any idea how much a copy of one of those OSes costs? Well over $1000.

Third, comparing this to 16bit is ridiculous. 16bit isn't even supported anymore. Try and run a 16bit program under WinXP and it won't work. On the other hand, 64-bit doesn't even exist yet. So comparing a dead technology with a non-existent technology makes no sense.

#23151 09/05/03 02:09 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Actually, Windows XP 64 bit is available for the 64bit platform from AMD, however, it is in beta stages at the moment.

And 64bit is the future of PC's, whether you want it to be or not.

64bit CPU's have been around for eons. Digital have been doing it, SPARC do it, even IBM do it.

So why are you saying 64bit doesn't exist?

Remember NT4 64bit edition?

64bit is to 32bit as what 32bit was to 16bit. It's an advancement that has to be made, sure, it's gonna take a while, and will be expensive at first (you name me one computing break through that wasn't expensive when it was first released), but over time, it will cost significantly less.

Bring the 64bit's on!

*edit*

I would also like to point out that IA32 instructiosn have to run in an emulated mode on IA64 platforms, and this can cause a performance hit in a lot of cases (simply due to the design of the way the CPU emulates the IA32 code). Therefore, for IA platforms, it is wise to compile specifically for the 64bit platform if that is what you wish to release to. So that the application doesn't suffer from a huge loss in speed.

Compare that to the AMD 64 bit cpu, which actually has the x86 32 bit instruction set built in, and can run it at almost full speed (it is slightly slower, but it isn't as bad as the IA64).

It should also be pointed out, that the real benifit for 64bit platforms, is the significant increase in bandwidth that the CPU, RAM, and other devices will experience. It will also allow for memory addressing of over 4Gb (granted, it's available in some 32bit os's today, but its more of a "tacked" on method). So surely the reasons for running over to a 64bit platform are going to be very tempting for a lot of software developers.

I guess you could argue that because mIRC is such a small app, there really is no need to do so, but it is, at the end of the day, Khaled's decisions.

I personally would like to see a 64bit version of mIRC, but only when Khaled is ready to rock 'n roll.

Last edited by neophyte; 09/05/03 02:29 AM.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
#23152 09/05/03 02:35 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I never said 64-bit doesn't exist. I've used NT4 on a 64-bit Alpha processor many times, I use SPARC systems on a daily basis. I said, at this time, 64-bit systems don't exist for the HOME USER. I've yet to see anyone running an Alpha, Itanium, or a SPARC as their "home machine." Meaning the pc used for chatting, for emailing, for web surfing, for typing documents, etc. Thats not really the stuff 64-bit architectures were designed for. They were designed primarily for high-end server applications. And I never said there wouldn't be a home market, there will be, I think the AMD Clawhammer will be a huge success, but I don't think that huge success is going to occur within the next 1-2 years. It will be a while before 64-bit catches on in the residential market. And saying it 64-bit is to 32bit as 32bit was to 16bit is wrong. A 16bit system could NOT support the advanced graphic systems of windows XP. Imagine emulating RGB (24bit) on a 16bit OS/CPU. It would have been so slow you would have needed a 1Ghz 16bit processor (which didn't exist) to match a 200Mhz 32bit processor, just because of all the emulation that would have been needed. In the case of 64, in the home market we aren't really hurting for anything. Ok yea, hard drives are somewhat of an issue. But the Big Drive standard allows 48bit addressing, and since the emulation is done at a hardware level, as well as the software level, it isn't much of a slow down at all. My point is, yes 64-bit does open up possibilities; unfortunately, none of those possibilities have actually been invented yet. I'm sure if we had holographic 3d monitors, fully voice activated machines with perfect speech recognition, support for parabolic directed sound for "real" 3d sound, etc, etc, a 64-bit system would be MUCH more suited than a 32-bit system, but none of those technologies I mentioned actually exists, at least not in a form that any of us can actually afford.

Link Copied to Clipboard