mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Hey guys , I was wondering if you can help me out here , I've known on join scripts and I'm using it now adays and when I'm connected , it sends me a message each time somebody joins a channel:
YYYY Target change too fast. Please wait 97 seconds.
XXXX Target change too fast. Please wait 99 seconds.
(I'm sending private messages on join)
The script I'm using is as simple as that:
Code:
on 1:JOIN:#:/msg $nick MESSAGE CONTENT

I need to know how I can use this script without getting the "Target chance too fast" error, and successfully send messages to EACH ONE who joins a channel I'm in .
Thank you very much smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
First, script requests belong in the scripting forum. Second, networks only allow you to send a limited number of message simultaneously or within a short period of time. If you have a large number of people joining the channel on a regular basis, you shouldn't try to message all of them. If you have something to tell them, use the topic or have a !rules or !faq or whatever command that will send them a text file with the information you need to provide. You can attempt to use a timer to spread out your messages, but keep in mind that large number of people joining will force the messages you send to be delayed a very long time.

The limit of the number of messages or join commands you can use varies from network to network, but you can expect it to be somewhere around about 20 messages or joins within 2 minutes. And, of course, you also can only send so many messages in a short period of time (usually 3-6 within 2 seconds maximum) before you are disconnected for flooding.

EDIT: Note that some networks may have a CPRIVMSG or CNOTICE command available that allows channel ops only to send an arbitrary number of messages or notices to anyone who is in the same channel.

Last edited by Riamus2; 02/03/11 01:19 PM.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
That's exactly what I thought , but I've looked around and seen some people send me a message each time I join a channel even if I relog many times in serveral seconds , which means they can send private messages automatically , without a time limit .
THAT is what I'm looking for...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Read the edited post above. Also, rejoining multiple times to get them to send you multiple messages is inappropriate. In addition, you aren't going to trigger the limit by doing that. You simply aren't going to do it fast enough.

Invision Support
H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
I'm a bit confused , what do you suggest ?

R
Babel fish
Babel fish
R
Originally Posted By: hardspikes
I'm a bit confused , what do you suggest ?

Riamus is suggesting that the network you are on may have the option to use the CPRIVMSG command which may have a higher limit to the amount of targets you can send a message to in a certain period, of course to use this command you need to be an op in that channel.

Code:
on 1:JOIN:#:/cprivmsg $nick MESSAGE CONTENT

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
You really should talk to admin on your network or other mirc scripters who are experienced on your network.

Are you doing anything else on join in another script?

Maybe you should wait a moment before messaging them? It's a weird error message for a simple msg when someone joins. Target change too fast? Please wait almost 2 minutes? That just doesn't sound right. Please make sure you do not have another join event.

Options: You could write a queu that stores commands sent to the server and sends them out at a rate that won't trigger the flood detect, if that is a flood detect.

Maybe try a timer.

on 1:JOIN:#:{
if ($nick != $me) .timer 1 2 msg $nick Message Content
}

H
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
It worked thank you so much !

R
Babel fish
Babel fish
R
Originally Posted By: DJ_Sol
It's a weird error message for a simple msg when someone joins. Target change too fast? Please wait almost 2 minutes? That just doesn't sound right. Please make sure you do not have another join event.

This is normal on quite a few networks, mainly DALnet and Undernet. It happens when someone changes the target within a specified amount of time and only affects JOIN, NOTICE and PRIVMSG

Raw 439

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As a note, the CPRIVMSG and CNOTICE commands require you to include the channel name.

cprivmsg <nick> <chan> <msg>

The channel name included is the one used to verify that you are in the same channel as that person and that you are an op for that channel.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard