Print Thread
#230047 23/02/11 07:38 AM
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I've been baffled on how to get sounds to work with mIRC 7.17 under wine. I've asked around and some people suggested mIRC uses windows media player. I downloaded windows media player and installed it under wine, it runs fine, even plays music yet mIRC still won't play anything, the only way mIRC plays anything is /beep and ONLY if you have use internal beep ticked.

If anybody has any idea what I might be missing, I'd LOVE to have sounds working in mIRC.

Last edited by Talon; 23/02/11 11:33 AM.
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I've backed up on mIRC versions and 6.35 plays sounds just fine. It seems later releases won't....

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just installed Ubuntu and tested mIRC v7.17 under Wine and it played sounds without any issue here. Note that sound support under Wine is unreliable and caused previous versions of mIRC to crash. The way mIRC v7.17 plays sounds under Wine is more limited than under Windows in order to prevent it crashing. mIRC v7.17 has around 20 Wine-specific changes that either change the way mIRC or works or disables features that Wine does not handle reliably in order to make mIRC more stable under Wine.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
Not to hijack your thread, but this is the perfect example of why mIRC is the best IRC client out there. Not only is the the developer constantly fixing bugs and adding features that the user base requests, but he also goes out of his way to make sure his client is stable EVEN on virtual-machines/emulators/etc after specifically saying he won't be supporting any environment other than windows....

I am SReject
My Stuff
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
Talon: What Linux OS are you on? What version of Wine are you using?

Khaled: What version of Wine are you using?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I tested under Ubuntu 10.10 and both Wine 1.2.2-1ubuntu1~maverick2 and Wine 1.3.14.

T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
well I've gotten the repos from winehq for my distribution which is debian 6.0 squeeze, installed, configured, version reports 1.1.42. which sounds work in 6.35 and not 7.17

I removed the installed wine versions, removed the source from my apt sources.list, downloaded wine 1.3.14 src and compiled it without a hitch, installed it, blew away my .wine, did a winecfg, re-installed mIRC, tried to play sounds and still no go, wine --version says 1.3.14... mIRC 6.35 will now only play midis (didn't try wavs cause i don't have any handy) and mp3s just says * /splay unable to play 'myfile' so I uninstalled 1.3.14 and reverted back to the stable builds from winehq's repositories for my distribution. Maybe i didn't have some proper flags compiling from source I dunno, I'll continue to tinker and see if I can come up with a solution. It's strange tho with the repository version, 6.35 works flawlessly, 7.17 doesn't even error, like it doesn't even attempt to play anything.

ok well i downloaded a simple wav file and my repo of 1.1.42 plays wavs just fine, just not mp3s or midis in 7.17, and doesn't even error about mp3s/midis. 6.35 plays them all.

Last edited by Talon; 24/02/11 08:18 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I just tested mIRC v6.35 under Wine and it crashed the moment I tried to play a .mid file. It was able to play a .wav file once or twice and then crashed. It was able to play an .mp3 file without any issues, as far as I could tell.

mIRC v7.17 and v6.35 use exactly the same method to play sound files, other than a minor change to the way .wav files are played to get around the crash bug in Wine.

I ran a debug version of mIRC v7.17 under Wine and it did not play .mid or .mp3 files either, and did not return any errors. I have not taken a look at the Wine source code, however at a guess it looks like Wine may not be handling the calls for playing .mid and .mp3 files from Unicode applications. It may be that there is a stub that simply returns "success" in this case.

That's about as far as I can go to cater for Wine - the next step would be to download the Wine source code and to analyze it to see how I can work around these issues, which just isn't practical I'm afraid.

T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
very strange, 6.35 crashes on you but works flawless for me for every sound file. Oh well, I'll just implement my own /splay and run audacious or something similar.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You may also want to bring this up to the people developing Wine and see if they can look at it from their end. It may be an easy fix on their side that would be a major change on mIRC's end.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard