Bowl of petunias
H
which version of IRC Should i then use, im using adsl from a private pc at home

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
Quote:
Well, I ran Housecall ( http://housecall.antivirus.com ) after getting the same odd problem, and within seconds it had removed a malware file called mircflood, an all is fine again!
Hooray for online virus scanners!

My friend has a son that isnt too bright with computers and he was pressing yes to every little pop up that was showing up on his machine. This was with norton running. My friend didn't think much of it. Sort of a "If he breaks it he's gotta deal with it" attitude. (Their machines dont share files back and forth on the LAN)

Well today we used his machine to test something. We ran his copy of irc on his machine and it was fine even though my friends copy of irc on his usual machine was always having the error.

I forget why but my friend turned off his son's machine and all of a sudden the problem went away on HIS machine.

Moral of this story. Check all the machine's in your house for wierd activity. I am going to bet that my friend's son's machine has one or more virus or other malwares and was spamming his network when it was on.

His son is getting a nice new formatted harddrive for breakfest. laugh

T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
Quote:
I'll add another.. if you get this error every time you connect to a server then also check if you have the latest McAfee installed, there is a 'new' option which by default blocks port 25 and all IRC ports.. yeah, did cost me only about 1 week to figure this out..
* Open Virusscan console (rightclick icon in systray and select virusscan console)
* Open Acces Protection
* Uncheck Prevent IRC communication

So there are propably more antivirus programs which has this new feature.. mad

I owe you the biggest Thank You in the world. I've had this Error for a long time and tried many many solutions. This was it! Simple and quick. I hope others try it and I hope it fixes everything.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i wonder on who's fault this is...

i have 2 mirc 6.17 connected from my pc constantly online
one is me, second is bot.

and today i look at channels on 1st mirc that i use and i notice
that during night i was disconnected 7 times from network
with ofc this glorious message...

while looking on bot (mirc 2) nothing happened...

wouldn't be logical that they both died 7 times at same time
if it was due DSL modem or ISP ?

IceCapped
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
...or maybe the two were connected to different servers
and the server 1 was connected to was the problem?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
indeed... so what is conclusion then :P ?

Last edited by raZOR; 15/04/06 02:58 PM.

IceCapped
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
No conclusion, just another possibility wink

G
GG1 Offline
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
I had the windows xp firewall runing then thought id download a different firewall and turn off the windows one and so far after 2 hrs mirc hasnt disconnected on me.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
well i find this stupid coz on WinME i never EVER !
had this things happening...
when i swithched to win2k and later xp, they both
started to manifest this.

IceCapped
F
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
F
hmm, anyone know how to make a script that will auto-send random msgs to a channel?

this would solve my idle problem.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Code:
On ^*:Open:?:*: {
  if ($nick == $me) close -m $nick
  haltdef
}

Put the above code in remotes (Alt + R)

And type /timerme 0 3 /.msg $me moo

Basically that sends you a message every 3 seconds instead of sending one to a channel and flooding the room. BUt you wont notice you sending the message to yourself as the ^ prevents it from opening.

-Andy

T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
ok guys i have posted in another thread and was asked to try the things in here I did. I read that soeone said it is a server/ip problem in my case it isnt. I can connect to the server using one irc client but not any others.

i can connect with
LeafCHAT (Cant use this one because i need a Perform)

i can't connect with:
mIRC (i have been using MIRC for 3-4 years)
vIRC
xChat
not even the webirc from the hosters website.

I get that exact error and it goes through 99 retries.

Last edited by TurtlePants; 16/05/06 05:05 AM.
T
T
Ok I found out how to fix this problem. My computer needed to have a static ip from which I was told by the installation of my router's manual it said to obtain. So anyways i can connect to my irc server.

I went onto the dlink website. Looked at the tech support for port forwarding. inputed my ip + port. Went to network connections properties on the ip one. made my ip as static filled in the gateway as the router. got the 2 main DNS servers from my ISP. Saved all of that rebooted my system. loaded mIRC. It took 10 seconds to connect to the server. everything was working.

So if anyone Has a DSL-504g router copy what i did and see if this works.

1. go to http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/
2. chose your router/modem
3. click on Open ports.
4. how to open ports.
5. Do everything they say. Add your isp Dns servers in the network card configure.
6. Save the settings.
7. Reboot your own system.
8. Login to your mirc network.

Turtle

E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
I have been using mIRC for a long time, and on win98 SE i never used to get that error. When I got a new XP box though, I started getting that error every hour. Firstly I installed a winsock fix, and that seemed to work, since i could get more than 3hours uptime. However, I had some problems with it later on, and i have to "reinstall" windows. What I did later on, was to disable many default services on XP that are useless. That might be a coincidence but yet i could get better uptimes.
Then in my surprise i noticed that, whenever I had "Bitcomet" (a torrent client) running on my backround, downloading stuff, i could get really cool uptimes. (Uptime: 2days 6hrs 21mins 16secs).
I then tried by downloading other things from the internet, like downloading things from ftps and https and it all worked.

So, my conclusion is that if you are keeping your line busy (i am on an adsl btw) you are getting higher uptimes! (Tried this on two computers and seems to work) However you can't be always downloading things from the internet.

Best Regards,

evol
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Seems to be the opposite for me. A constant stream of data for long periods will cause me to disconnect more often than I would if I wasn't using much of my bandwidth.

P
PK7 Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
Dont think that it
I have had windows xp for yearsssss

and mirc and the same time like for 7 years

why all of a sudden is it happening i havent done

anything different to my computer

what do u know??

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
Erm... hello. I have this weird problem with mIRC and it's making me really frustrated. Sorry if this was already addressed here, if so I probably missed it.

I can only connect to IRCHighway. When I try to connect to any other server, it just says: "Unable to connect to server (software caused connection abort)". I disabled my firewall and everything and nothing has changed. Tried to connect through IP adress too, and it didn't work... it just goes on and on forever, retrying to connect but it always gives me the same error message. I really don't know what to do.

EXAMPLE
* Connecting to irc.irctoo.net (6667)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Software caused connection abort)
-
* Connect retry #1 66.216.113.21 (6667)
-
-
* Connect retry #2 irc.irctoo.net (6667)
-

... and so on. The same with every other server, except IrcHighway, it connects just fine (usually on the second try) to this one. Oh and I hope I am posting in the right place...

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Port 6667 has caused problems for some people. Try a different port by typing /server irc.irctoo.net:6666 in the status window.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
*sigh* Thanks! But... I just tried it and the result is the same... frown

It seems my mIRC only likes IRCHighway...

Last edited by slayra; 23/06/06 09:44 AM.
E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
I am having the same problems as all of you guys, but i just noticed another connection between things. The longer my computer stays online, the better uptimes i get.

For example, if I have my computer turned on for only a day i can get an uptime of like up to 3 hours. This is the third day i have it turned it on and yesterday i had an uptime of 9 hours.

Best Regards,

evol
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard