Print Thread
#228705 08/01/11 03:16 AM
Z
zeromus Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Z
This dialog doesn't work well. Sometimes, the text in my clipboard won't actually paste. I don't have any other problems with clipboard on this system.

Here is an example of a string which doesn't paste

x

Yes, that is literally just one character. There is no newline at the end.

I think that it is related to the contents of the string. I used to think that shorter strings are more likely to work, but I disproved that while minimizing the test case right now before posting. I used to think it had to do with newlines, but now I don't.

Also, I think that the dialog hotkeys are not working correctly. Pressing the spacebar to trigger the [Yes] button doesn't work (pressing enter does, though). Actually I have just started clicking it because the hotkeys arent reliable.

I suspect this box is so buggy because it is a rarely-used feature.

This is mirc 7.17 32bit on windows 2003 32bit.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
before we start, lets get the basics, in mIRC type the following and paste us the results
Code:
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

I am SReject
My Stuff
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you are trying to copy a single character from mIRC, that's probably where you have a problem. mIRC will not copy a single character from the channel/query (though it will from an edit box). So if your clipboard is empty and you try to copy just one character, then it won't copy and therefore will not paste.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I'm not able to reproduce this issue at all. Pasting a single character, such as 'x', works without any issues for me.

zeromus, could you confirm what settings you are using exactly for the following:

Options > Display > Options > Editbox lines

and

Options > Other > Confirm... > Confirm when pasting [ ] or more lines of text

Z
zeromus Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
//echo -a $os $version $beta $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)
2003 7.17 7683908b23e2cfd3ed883d5daf3eacae ok 1 0 0

I am not trying to copy that single character from mirc. I am not copying anything from mirc at all. This problem affects things copied from other apps. But that is a weird quirk.

I'm not too surprised you werent able to reproduce. The problem is sporadic.

editbox lines hasnt been changed. right now it is: Single

Confirm when pasting [1] or more lines of text is checked. I haven't encountered any problems with the confirmation triggering; only its follow-through of the paste.

Last edited by zeromus; 09/01/11 08:45 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
We should be clear about what the issue is here...

The "Confirm when pasting" dialog box only pops up when you paste (as you pointed out) N or more lines-- in your case, 1 or more.

However, your initial bug report says that "x", specifically "without a newline" does not pop up this dialog-- it shouldn't. It's not "1 or more lines". You need a newline character for mIRC to consider this a "line"-- otherwise it will just copy into the editbox as normal.

Are you only having this with less than 1 line of text text that does not end in a newline? If so, this is normal expected behaviour.

Sidenote: keyboard shortcuts not working in this confirm dialog box seems intentional to me. It would subvert the entire feature if the confirm box was ok'd by pressing more keys, since the whole purpose of the feature is to ensure the keys aren't being pressed accidentally. I can imagine many people pressing the key combination <Ctrl+V><Space>, or <Ctrl+V><Enter> in an immediate fashion, and not to intentionally remove the dialog box, but just because inserting a space or a newline after pasted text is extremely common. Forcing the mouse ensures that you are really confirming this action.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: argv0
You need a newline character for mIRC to consider this a "line"-- otherwise it will just copy into the editbox as normal.

This is not true. mIRC does in fact display a paste confirmation dialog when pasting a single character (i.e., 'x') when mIRC is set to "Confirm when pasting 1 or more lines of text" and if the editbox is set to "Single".

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I had to test that because that seemed unusual, but you're right. If it's set to 1 line, new line character is not needed to pop up that box. If anything *that* sounds like a bug to me, but maybe not.

I still can't reproduce it not working the same when pasting a single character. For that matter, I *can* hit space or Enter to trigger the OK in that dialog box.

Invision Support
Z
zeromus Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I like the behaviour for N=1. I don't want anything to paste, ever, without me getting a confirmation. I was pleased when I discovered that is how it works. I don't consider it a bug.

Regarding hotkeys, right now, spacebar and enter both work for me. It isn't always the case. We can debate whether those ought to work in that dialog (I think they should), but the actual bug (I did not express this clearly originally) is that they work sometimes and not others.

Perhaps it was a mistake to use 'x' as an example. You may use literally any other string as an example, if you choose. The bug is dependent on the length of the string, as well as the price of eggs in china.

Today the dialog is working perfectly. I'll try and pay close attention to what is going on when it breaks again.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I agree that if the dialog functions differently at different times, then that's a bug. It may have something to do with your OS. Most people who are here have XP or Windows 7 with a few on Vista, so wouldn't be able to test it out on older operating systems. Of course, that doesn't mean it's related to the OS; just that it's a possibility if no one else can reproduce the problem.

Also, you might want to verify that the paste box is getting set to active. If it's not the active window, then you can't use space/enter or any other keys to manipulate the window. Next time it doesn't work, try clicking on the box (not on a button) and then try space or enter. If it works that way, then something in mIRC or outside of mIRC is preventing that popup box from being set to active.

As far as N=1, I understand where you're coming from, but I think most people wouldn't be looking for that functionality and would expect it to work the same for all N values. It might be worthwhile for N=1 to work the same as others (needing a newline character) and then have a separate checkbox for always ask.

Invision Support
Z
zeromus Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I tried that. The dialog is always active. I got it into a state where every other (or every third, or every fourth) enter/space wouldn't work. Also interesting, at this time, clicking Yes didn't even work. So, it seems that the bug might not have to do with the hotkeys but rather has to do with the failure of the paste to proceed.

Regarding N=1, I think it does work the same for all N values. The question is whether you define a newlineless string as being one line or less than a line. I define it as being one line (in other words, one newline creates two lines). I can't really support any other interpretation of this.

Last edited by zeromus; 10/01/11 10:30 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Let's look at the intention of the feature:

The problem people were having was that accidental pastes would potentially flood channels, and often with private information. These accidental pastes were only sent to channels when they included more than 1 newline, otherwise they would not actually get sent to the channel. Therefore, to guard against these accidental pastes, mIRC created a feature to warn you when you paste a large amount of text that would potentially flood you off the server.

It was in this context that the feature was born, AFAIK. In this context, "a line" doesn't make sense if it does not include a newline, since lines without newline endings don't cause a problem with accidental floods (or accidentally exposing data to the server). When there is no ending newline, the data stays in your editbox, so there's no real reason for mIRC to warn you of anything. Therefore, it seems much more reasonable to interpret "1 line" as "1 line with a newline ending". It seems unreasonable, to me, to warn a user whenever they paste any data even if it was not being sent to the server-- do you really need mIRC to have you confirm anything you paste? Again, that was not the intention of the feature-- the feature had to do with ensuring that data was not accidentally sent to the server, not to act as training wheels for your keyboard.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Z
zeromus Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm sorry it seems unreasonable to you. It seems eminently reasonable to me. You may view it as training wheels, but I view it as protection from sensitive information getting put in the editbox under any circumstances, which is enough to make my heart skip a beat.

With your interpretation, this feature becomes useless to me, while staying useful for everyone else. Unless N=0 is permitted to work in the manner I want, which you might grant me according to your arguments of what constitutes a line, but you might not according to your notions of philosophical purity of the feature.

At any rate, let me conclude this post with a zero-line sign-off

sincerely, zeromus

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I think it would be reasonable for the setting N=0 to behave the way you want, and that way everybody is happy. Of course, then it just becomes a matter of indexing, which makes the issue irrelevant (ie. the current setting of "2" is already "1 + newline"). And in any case, I don't think this solves the original bug either way.

Not that I can reproduce the bug...

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the bug report, unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce this issue here under XP and Windows 7. I pasted just the letter 'x' many times in a Single line editbox and the confirmation dialog appeared every time and pasted the 'x' correctly.

I also could not reproduce the issue with using the spacebar or Alt+Y to press the Yes button. These also worked every time.

Is it at all possible that another application on your system may be manipulating the clipboard in some way?

Link Copied to Clipboard